PDA

View Full Version : Using a floppy to boot the CD - Please Help

Total Immortal
06-03-2004, 05:38 PM
hi, i have a fairly old comp with no boot from cd option in the bios, only supports booting from HDD or floppy.
Is there any way i can use a floppy to boot then load and run knoppix from the cd?
a link to the bood floppy image or similar would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS: am new to linux so please give me an "idiots guide" if anything relativly complex or requiring specific knolage is involved.

Rootman
06-04-2004, 01:47 PM
[quote="Total ImmortalIs there any way i can use a floppy to boot then load and run knoppix from the cd?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go to http://bootcd.narod.ru/ and get the Bootable CD Loader . It allows older machines to boot to the CD ROM, works in 'most' cases.

wangji
06-05-2004, 09:03 PM
just make a boot floppy with boot.img or boot-fd.img from the cd istself

boot with both floppy and cd in drives.

it will automatically recognise the cd

mzilikazi
06-06-2004, 03:51 PM
I like Smart Boot Manager for just this situation. Instead of making a floppy that only boots one specific cd you can make a floppy that boots any cd
http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

Total Immortal
06-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Problem solved, used floppy image Rootman recomened and works a treat, works with all bootable cds i tryed sofar.

Thanks all.

j.drake
06-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Can this bootfloppy be modified to specify a particular boot cheatcode? For example, could I tell it to automatically use the cheatcode knoppix26 home=scan, so that all I have to do is put in the floppy and CD and reboot to get the 2.6 kernel and my persistent home?

And could I do this to a USB thumbdrive as well (assuming that USB is bootable in BIOS)?

TIA

JD

Total Immortal
06-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Can this bootfloppy be modified to specify a particular boot cheatcode? For example, could I tell it to automatically use the cheatcode knoppix26 home=scan, so that all I have to do is put in the floppy and CD and reboot to get the 2.6 kernel and my persistent home?

And could I do this to a USB thumbdrive as well (assuming that USB is bootable in BIOS)?

TIA

JD

I don't think you can... it seems to simply load a cd-rom driver then look for the boot sector on the cd, however, i am no expert on such things and i'm sure it is possable with a diffrent boot floppy from the one i used.