PDA

View Full Version : Running on lower memory ??

bhavin
06-04-2004, 07:42 AM
Is it possible to get Knoppix run on 64Mb RAM, Pentium I.
I have changed my desktop to IceWM, as it takes low memory, but still, same error displaying "You need minimum 82Mb to run IceWM " appears.
Does changing Ramdisk Size help to overcome such problems? What is the minimum size of Ramdisk needed to run Knoppix ?

OErjan
06-04-2004, 07:44 PM
have you got room for a swapfile on your hdd? a 64Mb would be enough, and then you could kill a few running processes ad save some there...

bhavin
06-07-2004, 11:24 AM
I dont have HardDisk on my PC.
Is it related to ramdisk??

psarathy007
06-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi

I have used 3.3. I could boot and work on kde on my pc with 197mb ram.

But 3.4 is not working with a comment states that KDE require minmum 81 mb. I have increased my ram to 368mb and i am getting the same problem

other x server work icemaker / windows maker / xfce. But i have been used to working in kde. Can some body tell whether i can make kde work with certain tweaking.

Why is the system not looking swap mamory

nashjc
06-10-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm running, albeit a bit slowly, on a 32MB Sony VAIO PCGF250 (350 Celeron). I installed K3.3 to hard drive, making sure a good-sized swap
partition was there. Made XFCE my window manager. Seems OK. I'm not
running any heavy apps.

Before this, ran Morphix lite and LuitLinux, but found they were lacking some
of the apps I wanted.

JN

psarathy007
06-11-2004, 05:16 AM
Hi,

I could make xfce / icemaker / windows maker work.

But i am comfortable with kde. I had not created a swap partition. I had just created once partition but has sufficient space.

do you think, by creating a swap partition, i can make knoppix kde work.
Is there any way to create a partition from the existing space without deleting the partition.

Is there any configuration by which i can tell the system to use a directory as the swap space

psarathy007
06-11-2004, 11:47 AM
I created a swap file enabled the swap partition and still kde is not working.

Is it required to start the swap file swapon -a