PDA

View Full Version : Praise and a small suggestion

Jarlath
06-04-2004, 11:11 AM
After two frustrating days trying to update Knoppix 3.3 to the 2.65. kernel (I made a mess of it BTW :oops: ) , I gave up and downloaded version 3.4. Frankly, I am amazed.

I installed 3.4 to my HD - it has detected all my hardware without a hitch, looks beautiful, and runs very smoothly. I must say thanks and congratulations to the people who got this package together. I believe it will change a lot of people's minds about LInux. It is now so easy to use that the command line hardly matters - I am a busy non-programmer and can't spend days crawling through the references (though I would love to). Now I can just install and go!

I have learned important lessons from using 3.3 - which is good. My problem was configuring lilo - silly I know - but I feel there are many like me. Would perhaps a GUI lilo Editor be useful? It would to me. Perhaps one already exists?

I might try to write one for the experience and post it here (don't hold your breath tho :P).

In the meantime, I will evangelise knoppix to my friends and colleauges - it really is a wonderful thing. Thanks again to the developers and the contributors to this forum.

Respeck,

Jarlath

OErjan
06-04-2004, 07:37 PM
if you have KDE you have a "controllcenter" there you have a graphical tool for lilo:-) i have never used it but i have seen it there (iirc it was in knoppix 3.2 when showing a friend around linux).