PDA

View Full Version : when, where and how is the knoppix users set up

frantek
06-04-2004, 04:52 PM
hi,

i need to add a symlink to the knoppix users home dir for a special application. so i've had a look at the boot process and found that the only script ran at startup is "knoppix-autoconfig". in this script i found a lot of stuff about persistent home dir but nothing of the inital setup of the home dir of the knoppix user if there is no persistent home. did i miss any thing? when i look at /home i found it empty.

when, where and how is the knoppix users set up ??

TIA
frantek

mzilikazi
06-06-2004, 03:46 PM
/home/knoppix is empty. /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession copies files and directories into /home/knoppix from /etc/skel. I have completely rewritten the entire 45xsession script for my own purposes as the majority of it is for KDE which I do not use. You might add something like this:

cp -R /etc/skel/.rox_choices $HOME
cp -R /etc/skel/.xfce4/ $HOME
chown -R knoppix:knoppix $HOME
The key is using the $HOME variable and changing ownership.

adis
06-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Simpler solution is to find this part in '/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession' script

# Copy profiles if not already present
rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/{file, dir, file3, ...}

and add your stuff.

Every user wiil use this settings (standard policy for '/etc/skel');

You can set stuff just for 'knoppix' user in the same script (just a few lines bellow the above example)

In that case you have to copy "your stuff" to '/usr/share/knoppix/profile'; and 'rsync' will do the rest.

mzilikazi
06-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Simpler solution is to find this part in '/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession' script

# Copy profiles if not already present
rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/{file, dir, file3, ...}

and add your stuff.

Every user wiil use this settings (standard policy for '/etc/skel');

You can set stuff just for 'knoppix' user in the same script (just a few lines bellow the above example)

In that case you have to copy "your stuff" to '/usr/share/knoppix/profile'; and 'rsync' will do the rest.

Nice first post. :) A much better way of doing things I see.

Ambrose
06-29-2004, 03:22 AM
You may also be interested in symlinking /etc/skel to /home/knoppix

- Ambrose

stuart_b
08-18-2004, 12:12 AM
"In that case you have to copy "your stuff" to '/usr/share/knoppix/profile'; and 'rsync' will do the rest."

So if I copy the contents of /etc/skel there, the Knoppix user will look like every other user I create?

stuart_b
08-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Umm, posted too soon. I'm not really that concerned with the Knoppix user, except that in a hard drive install the user created gets his profile from the CD's Knoppix user instead of from /etc/skel. I'd kind of like to make that initial user like other non-privileged users.