PDA

View Full Version : NTFS problem

stuart_b
06-04-2004, 09:05 PM
I just installed Knoppix to hard drive, sharing a disk with Windows NT. Doing this, I replaced an install of MDK 9.x that was getting dated but wasn't causing any problems (other than that I seem to like Mandrake less and less). To do this, I had to grab some disk space from my Windows "D: drive", an NTFS partition. C: is FAT16. Lilo is installed to the MBR, so selecting "Windows" from its boot menu passes things off to the NT bootloader.

So now that I've done this, every time I reboot I "lose" the NTFS partition. I have to delete and re-create the partition, with Disk Manager. This happened with Mandrake once when I examined the disk with DiskDrake, but has never happened otherwise. And installing Morphix instead corrected the problem. Apparently Knoppix is doing something to the disk the others aren't, but it looks like it happens under Lilo instead of the operating system, as it happens if I simply reboot NT. Anyone seen something like this?

knoppix33
06-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Install Partition Magic 8 and resize your partitions accordingly and then boot from knoppix CD run cfdisk and create an ext3 partition and a swap partition from the free partition where you want to install knoppix(C: as I understand) then reboot. Boot again from the knoppix CD and install it on the partition C:. You can put lilo/grub in the MBR if you like.