PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Knoppix for small downloadable bootable ISO Apps

WanderingStar
03-08-2003, 08:17 PM
It would be nice if an extremely small boot ISO were available easily. Ultimately if a games developer could release a downloadable game that when burnt on CD just booted detected 3D card and worked it would be awesome. U wouldnt have to publish for Windows. Whilst Knoppix as it stands is great if u r publishing on CD it incurs a huge download time on a game demo with an integrated ISO boot image. Its important cos this would allow Windows users to download and try Linux apps who otherwise wouldnt. Also the games/apps would run very smoothly. Ive had frame rate drop cos the hard drive has gone off on one in Windows.

mabhatter
03-10-2003, 06:46 AM
There's about a dozen versions of knoppix started...Take a look around the forums--you should find someone working on what you want!

god
03-10-2003, 06:49 AM
alex is loving me tonight... look into morphix....

http://www.morphix.org

probono
03-11-2003, 06:25 PM
in order to geht this thing really usable, it should have a frontend application like kpackage that would allow you to EASILY install the software you need and then burn the CD.

god
03-11-2003, 11:04 PM
morphix is getting scripts to do that, i believe....

Alextreme
03-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Heh, thanks god for all your pluggin' :D

probono: working on it, for now you can just add a file to the cdrom with your favorite cdburner prog to add a module. Still pretty premature and no real app-modules available, but slowly getting there :)

(especially the nvidiadriver is giving me more problems than i anticipated, but once this is solved... ;)