PDA

View Full Version : orinoco_usb for w200 multiport.

gnough
06-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi.
I installed Knoppix on my compaq evo n1015v, and I'm trying to get w200 working.
According to http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6517 and http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45306, and from other sources on the Web, I have to install orinoco_usb driver to get w200 working.
Since the newest orinoco driver doesn't include usb driver (http://www.nongnu.org/orinoco/), I downloaded two old versions from http://alioth.debian.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1245 and http://ranty.pantax.net/~rrey/orinoco-usb/orinoco-usb-0.3.0-rrey4.tar.bz2. (the latter one is found on gentoo forum http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=94959&highlight=w200&sid=eb0f42cb3f63235fd1482dcf9b842473).
And I'm new to linux.
I untarred both 0.2.2 and 0.3.0 in /usr/src. So, I have two orinoco driver directories under /usr/src.
And I go into 0.2.2 directory. I read README file and do the following:

/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.2.2$ make KERNEL_SRC=/usr/src/linux
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.2.2/driver'
mkdir -p .tmp_versions
cp /usr/src/linux/.tmp_versions/*.mod /usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.2.2/driver/.tmp_versions
cp: cannot stat `/usr/src/linux/.tmp_versions/*.mod': No such file or directory
make[1]: [modules] Error 1 (ignored)
make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.2.2/driver MODVERDIR=/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.2.2/driver/.tmp_versions modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.26'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.26'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.2.2/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Could you explain the above error message?
Similar messege appears when I do make KERNEL_SRC=/usr/src/linux in 0.3.0 directory.

/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.3.0-rrey4$ make KERNEL_SRC=/usr/src/linux
make -C driver
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.3.0-rrey4/driver'
mkdir -p .tmp_versions
cp /usr/src/linux/.tmp_versions/*.mod /usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.3.0-rrey4/driver/.tmp_versions
cp: cannot stat `/usr/src/linux/.tmp_versions/*.mod': No such file or directory
make[1]: [modules] Error 1 (ignored)
make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.3.0-rrey4/driver MODVERDIR=/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.3.0-rrey4/driver/.tmp_versions modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.26'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.26'
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/orinoco-usb-0.3.0-rrey4/driver'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I'm using knoppix 3.4. When I do uname -a, it says I'm running linux 2.4.26.
Since hardware (w200) isn't detected, wlanconfig kind of stuff doesn't work either.
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

kelmo
06-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Due to size restrictions, the full kernel source was not added for kernel 2.4.26 and nothing is present for the 2.6.5 kernel. After all it is a live cd.

If you want to compile those diver modules against the kernel source you will need to get the source from kernel.org and prepare it.

gnough
06-08-2004, 04:12 AM
wow, I didn't know the kernel sources are that big....30mb!
Since my laptop isn't connected to the internet (it has ethernet card but I don't have cable for it) I was going to download the kernel on my floppy and transfer the file to my laptop...But I think I have to get the caable first.
Thanks.

gnough
06-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Ok. I did apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.6 to install the source so that I can install orinoco_usb driver.
Downloading .deb file for the source was successful, and the error occurred:

root@box:~# apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.6
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
kernel-source-2.6.6
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 162 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/34.5MB of archives.
After unpacking 34.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-source-2.6.6_2.6.6-1_all.deb (--unpack):
files list file for package `kde-i18n-es' is missing final newline
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/kernel-source-2.6.6_2.6.6-1_all.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So I thought kde-i18n-es is causing the problem.
I tried to remove it:

root@box:~# apt-get remove kde-i18n-es
The following packages will be REMOVED:
kde-i18n-es
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 161 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 18.1MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... dpkg: error processing kde-i18n-es (--remove):
files list file for package `kde-i18n-es' is missing final newline
kde-i18n-es
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

(I logged on as root because I failed to install the source as su - from my non-root account.)
I'm stuck here. I really want to get my w200 working.
Can anyone help?
Thank you.

gnough
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
ok. the file, /var/lib/dpkg/info/kde-i18n-es.list was broken like this:

/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/es/kinfocenter/sound
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/es/kinfocenter/sound/index.docbook
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/es/kinfocenter/sound/index.cache.bz2
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/es/kinfocen <--look at this last line; it's unfinished

So, after deleting the unfinished line, I could remove kde-i18n-es package.
Then, I found the compiled version of orinoco_usb driver from http://orinoco-usb.alioth.debian.org/#debian
I followed the instruction. And added
You can add to your sources.list the entry::

deb http://orinoco-usb.alioth.debian.org/debian/ unstable/ in my sources.list file.
And I tried to do apt-get install orinoco"tab" (after doing apt-get update) to install the compiled deb package. But since I don't know what's the exact name of the package, I just downloaded one of the packages from here:
http://orinoco-usb.alioth.debian.org/debian/unstable/
I downloaded orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7_0.2.2-1_i386.deb because when I do cat /proc/cpuinfo, I get:

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1400+
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 1192.585
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips : 2378.95

Since my processor is AMD I guess it's k7 processor not 386...
And I don't know how to use apt-get install on the file in my hard drive, not on the internet. So, I just opened the downloaed file with Kpackager, hoping that I'll be able to use w200.
And an error occured like this:

<ackages/orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7_0.2.2-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
Selecting previously deselected package orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7.
(Reading database ... 104064 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7 (from .../orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7_0.2.2-1_i386.deb) ...
Adding `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hermes.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hermes.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Adding `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Adding `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Adding `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_plx.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_plx.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Adding `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_tmd.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_tmd.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Adding `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7:
orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7 depends on orinoco-usb; however: <--look at this line the package depends on orinoco-usb package.
Package orinoco-usb is not installed.
dpkg: error processing orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7
RESULT=1
Since orinoco-usb-module (the package I downloaded and I'm trying to install) is depend on orinoco-usb, I unchecked "check dependency" box on Kpackage and tried to install orinoco-usb-module again. And I get this error message:

<inoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7_0.2.2-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
(Reading database ... 104085 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7 0.2.2-1 (using .../orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7_0.2.2-1_i386.deb) ...
Leaving `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hermes.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hermes.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Leaving `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Leaving `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_pci.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Leaving `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_plx.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_plx.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Leaving `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_tmd.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_tmd.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Leaving `diversion of /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.o to /lib/modules/2.4.21-4-k7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.o.kernel by orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7'
Unpacking replacement orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7 ...
dpkg: orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you request:
orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7 depends on orinoco-usb; however:
Package orinoco-usb is not installed.
Setting up orinoco-usb-modules-2.4.21-4-k7 (0.2.2-1) ...<--it seems that kpackage is trying to setting up the package being installed
RESULT=0 <--but the result is 0 (I assume this means it failed)
So, on Kpackager, I clicked orinoco-usb link on "depends" section of orinoco-usb-module so that I can install orinoco-usb which is what orinoco-usb-module is depended on. Kpackage said I might have to try apt-get -f install in the console and didn't install orinoco-usb.
So, I did apt-get -f install in the console:

root@box:~# apt-get -f install
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
curl orinoco-usb
The following NEW packages will be installed:
curl orinoco-usb
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 178 not upgraded.
Need to get 152kB of archives.
After unpacking 251kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://orinoco-usb.alioth.debian.org unstable/ orinoco-usb 0.2.2-1 [12.9kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org testing/main curl 7.11.2-1 [139kB]
Fetched 152kB in 1s (93.8kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package curl.
(Reading database ... 104085 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking curl (from .../curl_7.11.2-1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package orinoco-usb.
Unpacking orinoco-usb (from .../orinoco-usb_0.2.2-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/orinoco-usb_0.2.2-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/etc/hotplug/firmware.agent', which is also in package hotplug <--firmware problem?
/var/cache/apt/archives/orinoco-usb_0.2.2-1_i386.deb
Orinoco-usb is trying to download and install firmware of w200. This is from kpackage:

name
orinoco-usb
version
0.2.2-1
group
net
size
file-size
description
ORiNOCO USB kernel independent pieces Hotplug support for orinoco_usb kernel modules. . This package downloads the firmware required for ORiNOCO USB devices from a well known ftp server upon install because it is not legal to redistribute such firmware.
architecture
i386
depends
libc6 (>= 2.3.2-1), unzip, bc, curl, hotplug
priority
optional
maintainer
Manuel Estrada Sainz <ranty@debian.org>
filename
unstable/ orinoco-usb_0.2.2-1_i386.deb

But, hotplug is using the current firmware being replaced and there was a conflict so I guess orinoco-usb wasn't installed.
So, how do I resolve the firmware conflict between hotplug and orinoco-usb? Is it safe to let orinoco-usb package to change w200's firmware?
Thank you.

gnough
06-26-2004, 12:45 AM
Wow, w200 now lights up!!!
Here's what I did:
Downloaded orinoco driver source from CVS

export CVS_RSH="ssh"
cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.nongnu.org:/cvsroot/orinoco co orinoco
Compiled it. (I already downloaded and compiled 2.4.26 kernel.)

make
make install
copied compiled .o files to /lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
Loaded orinoco_usb

modprobe orinoco_usb
dmesg said "orinoco_usb: No firmware to download".
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1058674&sid=aa3a4a8592192dc64d2aaa4303b679a4#1058674gave me some hint.
So, I just followed the instruction from the above link and copied orinoco_ezusb_fw to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware
And it Fn+F2 turns w200 up!
Interesting thing is that Fn+F2 only seems to work when I'm in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware directory.
And after turning w200 up, when I do iwconfig, I get w200 under eth1, not wlan0.
Actually I don't know what iwconfig, eth1, or wlan0 mean. I just found those in this forum somewhere...
Anyhow, I can now turn on w200 when I'm in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware...Well, I just rebooted the laptop and now Fn+F2 doesn't turn on w200...Oh my..

gnough
06-29-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm writing this with my w200....
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35682#35682
Just followed the above thread and now I'm using the Internet with w200!!
But, I still don't know how to setup WEP.
My router lets me write an English word and it generates WEP key from the word I entered...
As far as I know, I have to enter WEP key when wlancardconfig prompts me.
So, do I have to enter the whole WEP key generated by my router? The WEP key generated is made of 13 pairs of characters (total 26 characters, mostly numerals and alphabet A~F; I think they are probably hex decimals) Do I have to enter the whole 26 characters? with space or not?
Actually, I don't even know how to setup WEP in Windows. Windows asks me to write 5 or 7 characters for 107bit WEP??? Maybe the card doesn't support WEP..
Thank you.

gnough
06-29-2004, 05:53 PM
now I'm typing this over my w200 with WEP turned on.
brief summary:

wlcardconfig
//I had to type 26 characters without space in WEP key prompt.
iwconfig eth1 enc restricted //default was open
ifconfig //gave my mac address; I had to add that address on my router's mac fillter
pump -i eth1 //enabling wireless???I don't know what pump does
ifdown eth0 //killing ethernet card, not wireless
//plugged off the cable from ethernet card.
ifdown eth1
ifup eth1 //wireless card is up?? I don't know what ifdown and ifup are doing exactly but from their name, I guess they are killing/enabling devices I guess..
//Let's surf :)
Still, sometimes Fn+F2 doesn't start w200. I don't know why. I usually go to /usr/lib/hotplugs/firmware/ directory and press Fn+F2 with my fingers crossed; sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.