PDA

View Full Version : Video card upgrade with HD install?

ttait
06-05-2004, 08:11 AM
How can I get Knoppix to reconfigure the existing HD install to properly recognize a different video card? I am using Knoppix 3.4. The CD works fine with the new card, I just need the hardware dependant files updated. I prefer not to re-install as I will have to customize again the other stuff.

Is this possible?

Thanks-

Tim

baldyeti
06-05-2004, 11:59 AM
All you need to do is copy the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to the corresponding location on your HD install. Assuming your HD root partition is hdaN, do the following:

boot from CD
open a konsole
$ sudo su -
# mount /mnt/hdaN
# cd /mnt/hdaN/etc
# mv XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4.bak
# cp /etc/XF86Config-4 .
# sync
# cd
# umount /mnt/hdaN
reboot - your HD install should not work with you new HW.

ttait
06-05-2004, 06:17 PM
I guess I should have mentioned I tried that... I then ran into missing modules or incorrect modules. I switched from a Rage128 pro to a Radeon 8500. And I would like to test out a Geforce4 Mx440 next. Also want to try different soundcards, which seems to give it some grief too. I've also found that switching network cards requires manual reconfiguration.

This is part of an experiment with MythTV configurations. I was thinking that Knoppix's ability to autoconfigure to almost all hardware made it an ideal platform for such tinkering, but it seems that ability doesn't work (at least by default) when you are on the hard drive. But I think there has got to be a simple wat to regenerate that hardware profile etc. This capability is in my mind one of the best reasons to use Knoppix on the HD.

I see that /etc/init.d has some knoppix autoconfig scripts in it which properly detects the new hardware, but they don't seem to write the etc files. I guess I could look through the hd install script to find out what they copy.

Or maybe the files in /etc/sysconfig are the key?

Am I travelling across virgin territory here?

Tim

baldyeti
06-05-2004, 06:37 PM
I guess I should have mentioned I tried that...
Yes. When seeking help, one should always strive to provide as much relevant information as possible.

I then ran into missing modules or incorrect modules.
Probably your HD version is too different from the one you try on CD. Which kernel versions are you comparing?

I was thinking that Knoppix's ability to autoconfigure to almost all hardware made it an ideal platform for such tinkering, but it seems that ability doesn't work (at least by default) when you are on the hard drive..
I hear the latest installer allows one to select knoppix mode - as opposed to debian mode - and then HW autodetection runs at every boot.

ttait
06-05-2004, 07:26 PM
I guess I should have mentioned I tried that...
Yes. When seeking help, one should always strive to provide as much relevant information as possible.

I then ran into missing modules or incorrect modules.
Probably your HD version is too different from the one you try on CD. Which kernel versions are you comparing?

I was thinking that Knoppix's ability to autoconfigure to almost all hardware made it an ideal platform for such tinkering, but it seems that ability doesn't work (at least by default) when you are on the hard drive..
I hear the latest installer allows one to select knoppix mode - as opposed to debian mode - and then HW autodetection runs at every boot.

It is actually the same version (3.4 5-17 English) on the CD and HD. It is configured to do autodetection knoppix style (which 3.3 had too) but it seems to be very limited once it's on the HD. It seems to be pulling saved info from /etc/sysconfig/knoppix and /etc/sysconfig/xserver and maybe more to setup things, rather than a real autodetect like the CD does.

The missing or incorrect modules relate to the changed hardware, and I don't know how that is setup.

Tim