PDA

View Full Version : Burn Knoppix ISO in Knoppix

j.drake
06-05-2004, 06:56 PM
I've burned Knoppix ISOs in Windows up to now, using the Nero demo. It's expired, and I don't want to pay for it. So, I tried launching Knoppix, hoping to use it to burn another CD, but it just asks what application I want to use to open the file.

Does Knoppix have an ISO burner?

If so, where is it and how do I use it?

If not, can anyone recommend an open source ISO burning download to use in Knoppix?

If not, can anyone recommend an open source ISO burning download for Windows?

TIA

JD

firebyrd10
06-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Sure Knoppix has burning software.

Just make sure that the burning drive doesn't have knoppix in it.

when in KDE hit alt-f2 then type K3b

That will launch the burning software. Forget how to start Image burning but its in one menus up top.

DuckDodgers
06-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Under the Tools menu, hover over CD, then select Burn CD Image.
Edited due to firebyrds faster response time.

knoppix33
06-06-2004, 01:25 PM
A freeware CD/DVD burning utility for Windows is DeepBurner (http://www.deepburner.com/) :wink:

mzilikazi
06-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Well let's not overlook the obvious either! :) Since some people actually don't use KDE (yes I know it's hard to beleive). Something like the following will work just fine:

cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed fs=14M speed=16 -dao -eject -overburn -v Knoppix.iso

j.drake
06-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks, folks. It really irritates me to pay Nero for something that should be a part of the OS and burner that I already paid for (of course, we all know why this function isn't in Windows, right? :wink: ). Followed the instructions and burned a disk in K3B - now to make sure it works!

JD

firebyrd10
06-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Well let's not overlook the obvious either! :) Since some people actually don't use KDE (yes I know it's hard to beleive). Something like the following will work just fine:

cdrecord dev=/dev/hdb driveropts=burnfree,noforcespeed fs=14M speed=16 -dao -eject -overburn -v Knoppix.iso

Well yea you could do that.

But if your in fluxbox or something you could also navigate the menus to get to K3b (seeing how most newbies are intimidated by the command line) or (if their ready for these waters) type k3b into a command line to call it up.

Both ways are easier then useing cdrecord via command (for newbies anyway)

j.drake
06-07-2004, 06:37 AM
Amen!!

firebyrd10
06-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Thanks, folks. It really irritates me to pay Nero for something that should be a part of the OS and burner that I already paid for (of course, we all know why this function isn't in Windows, right? :wink: ).
JD

Acually I was at a website where there was an add-on to windows basic writing function for Image files. Let me see if I can recall it. Usefull for people who want to try Linux but can't burn images because they only use windows basic software.

I can't find it. Though I think the ability may be introduced in SP2

jw333
06-15-2004, 06:26 AM
I spent an hour and went from iso to working IBM A31
Thanks for the DeepBurner link :wink:

Now to get the wifi detected. . .