PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Partition in Windows XP

mbw
06-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Initally attempted to do a Debian net install, but quit do to network card not being recognized. In the process did several re partitioning of hard drive and Windows XP. (New user learning the hard way)

Did a new install of windows xp, set up a "C" partition and a second partition for data files. From a dos start up disk Left remaining as unallocated space

Then did an install from Knoppox live, cd. Set up partitions for Linux as per instruction process, so I thought. Put Lilo in mbr. Dual boot works fine.

But when I accessed Win XP I only have the "C" partition. The partition for my data files is hidden, FAT 32. Using Partition Magic 7.0 it allows me "unhide", but will close out and reboot data files partition is hidden again.

Tried changing partitions within Linux with Qfx (sp?) it appears to be opening then quits.

When look at devices it appears that Knoppox installed on my data files partition and ignored the ext.2 file I had set up.

How do I restore my Windows data files partition? Is it possibile to do an uninstall which would allow me to start over? Still save my windows install?

Thanks.

eco2geek
06-07-2004, 07:39 AM
But when I accessed Win XP I only have the "C" partition. The partition for my data files is hidden, FAT 32. Using Partition Magic 7.0 it allows me "unhide", but will close out and reboot data files partition is hidden again.

It sounds like you've created two primary partitions (disregard your Linux partitions for the sake of this discussion), the one WinXP is on and your FAT32 partition. However, unlike Linux, Windows can "see" one, and only one, primary partition per physical hard drive. If you wish to have other Windows-accessible partitions on the same physical hard drive, the additional partitions have to be created as logical partitions inside an extended partition. "Unhiding" a second physical partition won't help you.

See this page (http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/struct_Partitions.htm) for more information.

<edit>And no, Knoppix definitely didn't install to a FAT32-formatted partition. You would have had to reformat it to ext2 or ext3.</edit>

mzilikazi
06-07-2004, 05:28 PM
It sounds like you've created two primary partitions (disregard your Linux partitions for the sake of this discussion), the one WinXP is on and your FAT32 partition. However, unlike Linux, Windows can "see" one, and only one, primary partition per physical hard drive.

Really? Windows is that stupid? :roll: What will they think of next......

Anyway...to the original poster, just don't touch your XP partition and you should be fine. The GUI partitionig app on Knoppix is Qtparted. Launch it from a terminal as root:
sudo qtparted

Of course there is always good-ol' cfdisk (my favorite).

mbw
06-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the help. They both were helpful.

The fix:

1. Booted with a windows start up disk
2. Initiated fdisk
3. Deleted non dos partitions. Was left with C partition, which has windows and a small logical dirve, had about 7 gigs.
4. Rebooted, Linux menu opens, select Windows
5. Open Partition Magic, using version 7
6. Showed C drive and logicial drive and unallocated space of about 23 gigs
7. Unformatted unallocated space
8. Formated allocated space, FAT 32, logical partition
9. Partition Magic made changes, did not have to reboot.
10. Went to my computer and there was the new partition, restored data to partition, works fine.
11. Rebooted to Linux, all is intact there

Still have on the Linux directory an "old root directory" and a new one.

Shouldn't there only be one?

Thanks again.