PDA

View Full Version : Copying files in Knoppix

fordprefect3
06-06-2004, 08:34 PM
I'm trying to copy files from drives that won't boot in Win2k Pro with Knoppix 3.4. The drives themselves appear OK, and I can view all of the files. But when I try to move, copy or create new folders on the good drives, I just get errors that it is unable to write there.

I'd guess this is a permissions issue, I noticed in another post someone recommended using Ctrl+Alt F1-F4, and MC to get into another mode (can't remember which one now), that didn't work either.

Do I need to log in as root to get permission, or is this just something I can change in properties?

aay
06-07-2004, 03:09 AM
First of all unless you use the Captive tool to load the NTFS drivers and use them, you can do serious damage to your NTFS partition if you try and write to it. Using captive is easy enough with Knoppix 3.4. Just navigate through the "Knoppix" menu and run the Captive tool and let it walk you through the set up proces.

Secondly you will still need to grant write access to your NTFS partition after you mount it. You can do this by right clicking on the drive icon on your desktop and changing it to read/write.

After doing these things you should be able to write to your NTFS drive without any problems.

Helix
10-12-2004, 10:38 PM
I have a similar problem.
I want to copy files from an ext3 to an ext3 partition under knoppix 3.4 (from boot CD)
I enabled the target partition for write mode.
But it didn't work, only an error message appears that files could not be written.

What do I wrong?

CrashedAgain
10-13-2004, 03:58 AM
I have a similar problem.
I want to copy files from an ext3 to an ext3 partition under knoppix 3.4 (from boot CD)
I enabled the target partition for write mode.
But it didn't work, only an error message appears that files could not be written.

What do I wrong?
Probably this is a permissions issue, try it as root. Two ways:
1) in console, 'su' to become root, then mount your drive with 'mount -rw /dev/hdaXX'. Do your copy with 'cp <path><file> <path><file>'.
2) use Konqueror as root. Become root as above then start konqueror form the console (just type 'konqueror') . But sometimes this doesn't work so the other way is drag'n'drop copy the 'konqueror' icon from the start menu to the desktop then right click on it, select 'properties' and change the 'run application' line to read 'kdesu kfmclient <whatever it says>' so it will run as root. You will be asked for a root password when it starts up so set a root password with 'sudo passwd' before you try to run it.