PDA

View Full Version : networking with win98

carognaverde
06-06-2004, 09:40 PM
i'm having problems with my network....i have 3 pcs on it....the main one (the one connected to the internet) is a win98, another one has winxp, and on the 3rd one i have knoppix running from the cd...they all see each other except for the win98.....it sees the knoppix pc, but when i try to open it, it says "you must supply a network password
resource \\KNOPPIX\IPC$
and when i insert the password (which works for the winxp one)...says password invalid
knoppix pc CAN browse the win98 pc with no problems...
the winxp pc when i try to access the knopix calls the user KNOPPIX\knoppix
and the password works fine
hope i made myself clear...english is not my first language :)

pau1knopp
06-08-2004, 03:39 AM
What account are you logged into on the Win98 box?

You must create a user account called knoppix on the Win98 box, and login to Win98 with that account inorder to use the default KNOPPIX samba settings.

You do NOT have to have the same password as on the KNOPPIX samba server, but you must enter the password created on the samba server when prompted for user password.

Hope this information is helpful, and your english is just fine for this crowd ;)

regards,

~pau1

knoppixNUb
06-08-2004, 07:20 AM
this is greek to me... I have a windows 2000 box and wanted to transfer my mp3's to the linux box to run terminatorX or even remix, I started the samba server but I cant seem to just connect to my box I think I called it AMD400 but how do I check for sure?

carognaverde
06-08-2004, 07:36 AM
and that solved my problem!!!!

Thanx!!!

knoppixNUb
06-08-2004, 03:57 PM
so it is possible for me to just create a userid as on my win2000 box in order to follow these steps identically. btw, I confirmed that the name of the knoppix box is "amd400" (no quotes), however even tho i've clicked on the start samba service and entered my root pwd, I can't just see the \\amd400 share from my network neighborhood in win2000

ideas?....(if my questions are too nu bee, i'll post to the right forumn/group if you point me in that direction).

thanks

pau1knopp
06-09-2004, 04:14 AM
the KNOPPIX samba server name will be KNOPPIX (in a workgroup called WORKGROUP). Try logging into the samba server from your Win2K box using the ip address instead of the netbios name. example as follows:

\\192.168.1.250

The login name should be knoppix and the password is whatever you assigned it when you started the samba service.

hope this helps

regards,

~pau1

GCMartin
06-17-2004, 05:16 AM
How do you start the Knoppix Samba server? How can I tell if its runnig?
Thanks