PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate CD for friends and family

GregJ
06-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Excuse my ignorance if it shows below. I can't help but think that Knoppix is the perfect platform for internet PCs for people who don't really understand PCs (or should I say windows!).. I am quite PC literate and know what I need to do to keep my windows machine operational. ie backup, anti-virus, firewall, spyware, tuning, etc. What bugs the hell out of me is the number of PCs I have given to friends and family and they (thru no fault of their own) end up with a virus or worm or somehow manage to screw up a PC I spent considerable time setting up.

SO.. WHATS THE IDEA.. A Knoppix/Linux script/GUI and maybe even a Windows one (to suck in Windows users) that could be run to create a preset Knoppix CD configuration that was tailored for them or whoever. It would include:
*) Internet connectivity configuration details as appropriate. Modem initi scripts, PPOE credentials, ISDN settings
*) Screen config.
*) Printer configuration.
*) Scanner configuration.
*) Home location (HDD, USB memory stick, other?)
*) Mouse config
*) Specific VNC config (actived only when they initiate it) so that I or some other IT wizz could remotely support their Knoppix use over/thru the internet...
*) etc, etc.

It would need to have firewalling turned on by default and I'm sure a bunch of you other guys can nominate other configurational settings which would ensure that the PC was as safe as it could possible be!

The end result would be that friends and family could still keep their Windows PC for internet disconnected operation, but when they wanted to connect to the internet they could use Knoppix. OR how knows they might even trash their windows config totally.

I understand that Save config and Persistent home go part of the way there.. But as I understand it, with V3.4 you have to specify myconf on startup. I want something (and I am sure a load of other techos would like it for friends and family) where their 'friends' simply insert CD (Knoppix), Boot floppy (something like smartbootmgr if required for booting of CD), USB memory stick (Knoppix configuration and perhaps Home storage) and away they go.

A mechanism to hold Knoppix and configuration info on the master CD would be even better. Being able to develop this Knoppix plus config CD interactivley CDRW would be great also..

If anyone has ever taken a look at CoyoteLinux (http://www.coyotelinux.com) they'll know what I mean. You can either run a Linux Script or a Windows GUI which creates a floppy boot firewall containing configurational information and in the example of Coyote Linux also the linux files to make it all work.

What yu think? Lets convert the world and make all our jobs easier. I don't want to make money out of this, just make all our jobs easier!

GregJ

paradocs
06-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Welcome GregJ,

Thanks for your ideas.
KNOPPIX has a lot to offer along these lines.

Remastering is the usual method to make a new
KNOPPIX.

You might look at two add project scripts:

grow-knoppix: copies a KNOPPIX version and places
it onto a DVD. It can be configured to
boot in a preset way with no intervention.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11150

burn-home: uses a CDRW in addition to the
boot KNOPPIX CD.

Multiple disks can be specialized to do one task well -- and
like a toaster, can do its thing well with only
a very small chance of getting fouled up.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and commitment
to hlep others. I hope you will let us know how you
have specialied any KNOPPIX or KANOTIX versions.

Best Wishes
paradocs