PDA

View Full Version : wlan problems

Kakalak
06-07-2004, 08:18 AM
I can't seem to connect to lan with my netgear wg311v1 card. If I run LSPCI it shows correctly as Atheros. I have run wlcardconfig and set it up properly. Tried pump -i eth0, but fails. If I run netcardconfig it says something like "no compatible card found." Anybody have any ideas?

tearinghairout
06-17-2004, 11:56 AM
What is the output of iwconfig?

Do you have a dhcp server on your wireless lan?

Try pump -i ath0. I have a card with the Atheros chipset, and this seems to be the default device name.

BufferOverflow
06-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey, I've got exactly the same card and it works no bother.

iwconfig should list ath0, if it does you can contine as follows (need root)

ifconfig ath0 up (Turns on the card)
iwlist ath0 scan (Scans for local netoworks)
if config ath0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Give yourself an IP)

at this point you should be able to ping other machines and the router on your network. Then you can:

pump -i ath0

This should have you connected up no problems if not I've found these three useful:

iwconfig ath0 channel XX (The channel you are using)
iwconfig ath0 mode Managed (If connecting to a router)
iwconfig ath0 essid XXXXXX (The name of the network exactly as it appeared in iwlist ath0 scan)

Hope that helps :)

lockdown
07-20-2004, 02:16 PM
OK, please forgive me but I'm very new to wireless (especially in Linux) but I do have some Linux/BSD experience.

I've got a Proxim 8471 (silver) card and when I plug the card into my pcmcia slot in Linux iwconfig does not show the card. The card is supported with the Atheros chipset according to their site and has been used according to people on other sites (netstumbler.org). I'm using KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-17-EN.iso. The card works fine under Windows 2000 sp4. My 3com 10 Mb NIC works fine with Knoppix so it doesn't appear to be a problem with pcmcia support.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but it's possible that I am. Could anybody provide me with some assistance to get my wireless Linux days started??

Thanks,

Lockdown

false-hopes
07-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Atheros based wifi cards need the madwifi drivers to be installed on your system. Knoppix has yet to come with these drivers working.

You can go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/ and download the drivers, or you could use my installer script from http://false-hopes.com/madwifi-home.php . My installer script takes care of installing and loading the drivers for you, in the end all you will need to do is iwconfig.

lockdown
07-20-2004, 08:21 PM
false-hopes -

According to http://www.knoppix.net/knoppix-3.4/packages.txt madwifi is included with Knoppix 3.4 so I'll try to get them working based off of your scripts tonight when I get home.

I'm hoping they are installed and working because my wife won't let me format her drive and put linux on it. :D

Lockdown

false-hopes
07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
well, if they are already installed in 3.4, your best bet is to figure out where they are and just modprobe/insmod them, don't use my script. sorry.