PDA

View Full Version : Accessing NTFS in read-write mode on Knoppix 3.4

crveni
06-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Hello

I am using Knoppix 3.4(release 5/10/04) so that I can access an NTFS partition.
The cd succesfully access the scsi drive but I would like to delete the some data in this drive but an error of read only comes up.

So the drive was unmounted, then mounted as NTFS with read/write options. This still would not let me delete the data.

Any reasons for this?

TIA

j.drake
06-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Did you do the captive NTFS configuration? I haven't played with NTFS in Knoppix too much (I'm chicken), but you have to have the drivers to write to NTFS, and that's what the captive install does - it finds the drivers and installs them. Be aware that the script is buggy, though, and fixing it is apparently on the to-do list. In my case, while it was searching my Windows partition for drivers, the computer slowly ground to a halt. Someone told me of a workaround, which I have linked to in the Bugs section for the current version.

JD

crveni
06-07-2004, 03:46 PM
What is the script name which does this ntfs config?

TIA

j.drake
06-07-2004, 07:55 PM
I'm in Windows now, but if memory serves, K->KNOPPIX->Utilities???->Captive NTFS

Somethng like that, anyway.

As I said, it hung my computer, so I had to resort to the workaround. See this link http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=47365#47365 for the workaround provided by eco2geek.

JD

crveni
06-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Thanks for that will try it.