PDA

View Full Version : no streaming video in browser

airplays
06-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Anybody have any luck watching streaming video (windows media, quicktime, realplayer) inside a browser?

I can't get it working in either konqueror or mozilla. I've tried installing kaffeine via the klik menu (which crashes when it runs) and realplayer10 (which only plays realmedia OUTSIDE the browser - I thought realplayer10 was supposed to include the codecs for all the media types including quicktime?)

Also I was quite unhappy to see the link for mplayer disappear from the klik menu at klik.berlios.de . What is the best video media player to use with knoppix LIVE v3.3?

arkaine23
06-08-2004, 02:39 PM
I install mplayer and the mplayer browser plugin for mozilla-firefox in my remastered Knoppix to allow for streaming video.

aay
06-08-2004, 05:34 PM
I've found that Kaffeine will play streams that the mplayer plugin chokes on. Maybe your problem is that you are using Knoppix 3.3 - though I am using a hard drive installed version of Kaffeine. If you have the bandwidth, try grabbing 3.4

airplays
06-23-2004, 04:42 AM
ok I've gotten the latest knoppix 3.4, so kaffeine and kplayer both load ok from the klik site now.

Still can't get streaming video to work in browser. Is there further configuration required in order to view streaming video in either konqueror (preferably) or mozilla? (quicktime, asf, wmv, realplayer)

arkaine23
06-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Yes, you will need to install the browser plugins for realpayer, quicktime, and/or mplayer for each browser.

I opted for moderate functionality and use the mplayer plugin in mozilla firefox and konqueror. The realplayer plugin is not free, and I just hate quicktime.

airplays
06-23-2004, 04:43 PM
Where do I find plugins for windows media/quicktime/realplayer to play in konqueror, for kplayer or kaffeine?

The mplayer link disappeared from klik, so with knoppix 3.4 LIVE cd (no harddrive) I can only use whats available on klik, right?

Upon installing kaffeine from klik, I saw that it installed some browser plugins, but I still get error messages instead of video in the browser, when visiting a site with streaming video.

arkaine23
06-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Yeah, running from CD, klik is your only option. I rember you could get the flash plugin through klick, but I'm not sure about any others. (I've never used klik) I install what I need before building my own iso.

fpd
12-26-2005, 01:46 AM
For HDD installed Knoppix, go here to get .WMV playing (read it first):
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16133