PDA

View Full Version : Linux/open source Commercial Collaboration?

vader
06-08-2004, 07:18 AM
I always had the idea that there should be an effort by the users of open source solutions to work together and make a television or radio commercial, informing the un-informed about what else is out there, what the difference is between what they are using currently, and how it can benefit them, also teaching them that the open source environment is better then shelling out over $100USD for an equivalent or lesser product. Everything would be in writing and legal, like a non-profit orginization or charity (fund raiser) so that people won't take advantage and steal the proceeds.

I beleive this would deal a damaging blow to large companies, namely Microsoft, and to allow open source to grow even larger and to become more well known. The nature and idea of open source is better then the nautre/idea of proprietary for many reasons, even the National Security Agency (NSA) agrees, with their SELinux. After all, most of us download fully functional operating systems and programs for free everyday, giving us the freedom to aquire a vast amount of useful products without cost or with little cost, and on top of that we get to modify it if we choose to.

I do not know if this idea has been presented in the past, it is more then likely, and there probably is an effort underway already, I do not know, I am just a Windows defector...

eadz
07-05-2004, 08:52 PM
IBM has run TV ads about linux, and even paid a $100,000 fine for putting "peace love and linux" grafitti around San Francisco.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,2099980,00.htm

the video for the tv ads are on the net too