PDA

View Full Version : strange thing with my soundcard.....

fabiand
06-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, the problem is that when i run knoppix from de cd....sound works perfectly....but, i recently installed the same knoppix in the hard disk and happens that sound does not work....strange....I went to terminal and typed "sndconfig" a red hat tool and the driver is found, then I listen the a sound demo....ok, but why sound doesnt work in first place???
Everytime I start the computer I have to do the same....

I run knoppix on an ASUS A2500H laptop Pentium IV 256 mb 40gb....

Soundcard is and: Audio: -AC 97 S/W audio-SoundBlaster Pro Compatible -Build-in stereo speakers (1W)

Hope someone can help....

cintra
06-09-2004, 05:32 AM
Hei

If you type soundcard in the searchbox it will currently give you 317 possible answers.. ;-)

mvh

fabiand
06-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Well, I understand what you mean....but what searchbox you are referring to?

I am an recently ex-windows user....please undestand me! :wink:

Bye.

Hei

If you type soundcard in the searchbox it will currently give you 317 possible answers.. ;-)

mvh

cintra
06-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Sorry Fabiand,

The box at the top of the page, or hit search (next to FAQ). I suggest this because, as someone recently from the XP environment, I know there is a lot of good info you could learn from there.

If you send output from lsmod, and let me know if alsamixer works I/we'll be able to help more :-)

A frequent preventer of sound is the IEC958/AC97 slider (found in Kmix or Alsamixer), this should be totally down! and IEC958 (in Alsamixer) should NOT be muted. (shift-M to toggle)

regards

fabiand
06-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Ok! I advanced something.....I did what you said...I executed the command "kmix"...and the speaker picture appeared next to the clock!....now It should work....I guess....

How do I know if the sound works???.....I dont even know that.....:-(

Thanks for the help....

Sorry Fabiand,

The box at the top of the page, or hit search (next to FAQ). I suggest this because, as someone recently from the XP environment, I know there is a lot of good info you could learn from there.

If you send output from lsmod, and let me know if alsamixer works I/we'll be able to help more :-)

A frequent preventer of sound is the IEC958/AC97 slider (found in Kmix or Alsamixer), this should be totally down! and IEC958 (in Alsamixer) should NOT be muted. (shift-M to toggle)

regards :( :( :(

cintra
06-09-2004, 07:03 PM
OK! we're getting somewhere..

Right-click on the speaker icon, choose 'Show mixer window', click the Output tag. On the right of the mixer you should see the IEC958 slider, it needs to be ALL the way down.

At the same time you should make sure the green lamp is on for Master and PCM, and those sliders should be up close to the top.

On the bottom left of the mixer click on advanced and make sure the green lights are ON for IEC958 & IEC958 Pla(yback source). Just click them to turn them on/off...

If you saw what I described, you should now be able to play sounds... look for an mp3 or ogg file and click it.. best of luck!

mvh