fingers99
06-09-2004, 02:24 AM
How are you using Kpackage?

Stryker87
06-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Start | System | KPackage

Mustang64
07-09-2004, 09:53 PM
I get the same error. Starting Kpakage from the pop-up menu on the desktop - ?? Knoppix System??? :?

Any Ideas...

Not able to find the same packages in dpkg, or maybe I just don't understand what I see. Kpakage is very easy to understand - If I can get past the error when trying to install... :cry: :cry: :cry:

nishtya
07-10-2004, 01:03 AM
I am not currently using Knoppix but did and am still a regular user of KPackage and have seen plenty of errors with that front end - but not this. I take it you are getting this error after it asks you for root password? If it isn't asking for pw, it should be.

For jollies, start KPackage from the command line, it will still bring up the gui but may be more informative where there are errors. (if you get a zillion errors over the icons, ignore them)

Mustang64
07-10-2004, 03:32 AM
OK - I tried running KPackage from a "root shell" and got the same results

exec failed: No such file or directory

The package I was trying to load was

kdebase
in an attempt to make sure I could install the

kscreensaver
without loosing everything I had done up to now. I'v gotten burned five times and don't realy want to reload everything again! :twisted:

Any ideas on where to go from here? Do I have to upgrade my install first? :?

Mustang64
07-10-2004, 04:41 AM
OK - I tried KPackage under a Konsole and got a lot further :D
Now when I try to update kdebase, I get a few dependancy errors like
< 'kdelibs3' 'kdelibs3-bin' 'kdebase' ;echo RESULT=$?
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kdebase: Depends: libqt2 (>= 3:2.3.1-1) but it is not installable
kdebase-libs: Depends: libqt2 (>= 3:2.3.1-1) but it is not installable
kdelibs3: Depends: libqt2 (>= 3:2.3.1-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libxslt1 (>= 1.0.16) but it is not installable
kdelibs3-bin: Depends: libqt2 (>= 3:2.3.1-1) but it is not installable
Depends: libxslt1 (>= 1.0.16) but it is not installable
lilo-config: Depends: libqt2 (>= 3:2.3.1-1) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
RESULT=100

here is a list of the packages I was trying to installkdebase
kdebase-libs
kdelibs3
kdelibs3-bin
lilo-config

I figured I'd pick on something simple - like lilo-config.

:?: Question - What's with the
but it is not installable :?: :!:

I tried to find the file libqt2 without finding any such record on my root drive nor on my swap drive.

Where do I go from here?

champagnemojo
07-10-2004, 04:42 AM
You're getting that when you just type kpackage in the CLI? You can look in /usr/bin and see if kpackage is there. But it sounds like maybe it's not installed.

KPackage really isn't a good idea for things like kde apps that may have many dependencies. If you use apt-get in the command line it will sort out dependency issues, and you can also use the -s tag to simulate everything and see if important things are going to get removed.

Synaptic is a little better, because it will try to get dependencies and such...but apt-get is still the best way to go.

champagnemojo
07-10-2004, 04:47 AM
:?: Question - What's with the
but it is not installable :?: :!:

I tried to find the file libqt2 without finding any such record on my root drive nor on my swap drive.

Where do I go from here?

That usually means you're trying to install a package that is too out of date or conflicts for whatever reason with packages you already have installed. What package are you trying to install and where are you getting it from?

By the way, you're doing this from a hd-install right?

Mustang64
07-10-2004, 05:15 AM
mojo - Yes, it is a HD install, used knoppix-installer, beginner, to install from Knoppix 3.3 2-16-04. I have not upgraded anything - yet. Going slow this time as I don't want to install AGAIN!!!

I edited my sources list to only the stable listings. Again, trying to play it safe. It looks about like this
# Security updates for "stable"
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free

# Stable
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

# Sources
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
# Java
deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
# deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable main non-free
# deb-src ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian unstable main non-free
with everything else commented (#) out.
This info help? :(

champagnemojo
07-10-2004, 05:25 AM
Well, keep in mind that I'm still just a newbie myself...so I'm never certain in my answers. :lol:

But I think the issue is that you're only using stable sources. Since Knoppix is based on unstable, you're basically trying to mix stable packages with unstable ones...which won't work. You either need to go in and revert all of your existing packages to stable, or edit your sources.list file to include unstable and testing sources. Making a knoppix install into a debian stable system seems like it would be a huge pain to me. If you don't want to do alot of configuring you're better off just keeping it as debian unstable.

Mustang64
07-10-2004, 05:45 AM
I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Think I'll try a backup first though... :wink: :roll: :wink:

nishtya
07-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Hi champagne! :D Have to say that I really haven't had much trouble with kpackage. It is a bit weak as far as "what was the problem" exactly when installing a package fails, but in general it fetches the dependencies just fine for me. Where it also can be a pain is when I go "shopping spree" for several unrelated things, one of them will fail for whatever reason leaving the rest unconfigured in limbo. So I often have to fall back to command line with dpkg --configure -a to get the rest done. It may not be the most intuitive front end for apt but I love making a "shopping list" and ticking off things :lol:

I couldn't tell with Mustang whether he was having trouble with kpackage the application itself or apt in general due to like you noted, the mix of sources he has.

Mustang, whatever you try next, be sure to do apt-get update (not to be confused with upgrade) first, regardless of what frontend if any you are using. If you are using an old database, it would definitely cause problems similar to some of what you are seeing here

champagnemojo
07-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi champagne! :D Have to say that I really haven't had much trouble with kpackage. It is a bit weak as far as "what was the problem" exactly when installing a package fails, but in general it fetches the dependencies just fine for me. Where it also can be a pain is when I go "shopping spree" for several unrelated things, one of them will fail for whatever reason leaving the rest unconfigured in limbo. So I often have to fall back to command line with dpkg --configure -a to get the rest done. It may not be the most intuitive front end for apt but I love making a "shopping list" and ticking off things :lol:

Kpackage fetches dependencies for you? :o It doesn't for me. It just tells me that it can't install and shows me why. Mind you it's then an easy fix in the CLI, but I've pretty much stopped using KPackage due to it never getting the dependencies for me. Synaptic will...and it will also let me do the shopping list type of thing you're talking about. Are you sure that's not what you're thinking of? :?:

nishtya
07-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Oh yes, Champagne, my kpackage certainly does fetch the dependencies when I choose to install something (in the next dialog, seeing the dependencies I have sometimes said, FORGET it :lol: when I don't have time for a big download for what I thought would be a 200kb proggy).

Does yours function like this: After picking something to install in the first dialog by checking the little button for it, I click on "install marked", after it requests root password the next dialog that comes up lists on the left-hand side the package(s) I checked off AND any dependencies for them. The checkbox "ignore missing" must NOT be checked off - it should be unchecked in order to get the dependencies. Perhaps some versions of kpackage had that checked by default?

When you click on Install, the right hand pane will give a quick little synopsis of what is going to happen, how many packages to be upgraded, new, and (be careful!) removed as it starts downloading.

It is at this point I have sometimes hollered WHOA :shock: I don't know what it was earlier today I was going to install that had a conflict (since as usual I had picked out a bunch of unrelated things on my shopping "spree") but it was going to UNinstall the bulk of KDE :? CANCEL :wink:

Barring stuff like that, try it out on something simple sometime. In the first dialog look for a little package that you don't have a dependency for (which will be noted by it being in italics in the right hand pane with the description of the pkg you are interested in). Then go to install it. You should see it bring in the dependencies in the next dialog.

I guess I will be called a lamer for not using the command line for this (or at least not much anymore) but I really love being able to scroll/stroll through the "aisles" of the "store". It is one of the few things in linux that I genuinely prefer having a front end/gui for.

I did try synaptic. To be honest I forget why I didn't carry on with it. Perhaps will take another look it. Installing an update to synaptic with KPackage as I type 8)

champagnemojo
07-10-2004, 09:48 PM
I would never call you a lamer nish. :D

I bet the reason it doesn't get the dependencies for me is because I've only ever used it when installing packages I've gotten off of the net using firefox. Since you look through the stuff in the repositories and get them directly from there I'll bet that's why it gets the dependencies. To be honest, as sad as it is to admit, I never even really thought about the fact that you could use KPackage to look through the repositories. So if anybody is lame it is definitely me. :lol:

nishtya
07-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Yup, I just tried using kpackage to open a single deb on the local machine, it doesn't fetch dependencies in that case :? I guess the way I have been using it I never noticed its limitation in that regard. I remember the first time I tried it I hated it, I hadn't quite figured out how to work it but some time I went back to it, got used to "window shopping" and got hookedjavascript:emoticon :lol:

Does synaptic get dependencies when you use it for a deb you downloaded otherwise? I just have updated it and have to run out so I can't try right now but I have to admit that would be a nice feature.

I may love my kpackage but I am not averse to trying something different. 8)

champagnemojo
07-11-2004, 12:05 AM
I doubt it...I bet it does just like Kpackage does. You have to pardon my ignorance on Kpackage...I'd just never used it for anything other than opening a single deb. :oops: Mind you, I've never actually tried doing so with Synaptic...I always just went and used dpkg on it or got the app through apt-get in the CLI. So I spose anything's possible. But after trying Kpackage through the repository as you've been using it, I must say that it isn't a bad way to install things...and I think it might actually be better than Synaptic. :D

nishtya
07-11-2004, 04:12 AM
tehe, making a kpackage convert of you? :lol: here is something that will really blow you away... today while shopping I came across a little proggy in there called apt-listbugs and installed it. I don't think you need kpackage to use it. But, get this, after downloading, before it installs, it fetches the BUG REPORTS on what you are installing ... 8) and asks if you still want to install after seeing that. Actually, wish I had an option to shut it off to allow for unattended installs. But it would have saved me some aggravation when I was trying to install something the other day...there was a bug report about a missing directory (you only had to create the directory for it to rm the directory and go on with the install :roll: ) there are some neat things out there and I like the way kpackage lets me windowshop :D

CrashedAgain
07-12-2004, 02:11 AM
I doubt it...I bet it does just like Kpackage does. You have to pardon my ignorance on Kpackage...I'd just never used it for anything other than opening a single deb. :oops: Mind you, I've never actually tried doing so with Synaptic...I always just went and used dpkg on it or got the app through apt-get in the CLI. So I spose anything's possible. But after trying Kpackage through the repository as you've been using it, I must say that it isn't a bad way to install things...and I think it might actually be better than Synaptic. :D
General opinion seems to be that synaptic is 'better' than kpackage...but there a lot of people out there who don't like KDE or any KDE packages. Both synaptic & Kpackage are just gui frontends for apt-get & actually call apt-get to do the install, and apt-get in turn actually uses dpkg routines, as does dselect which is a less 'user freindly' text-only search & download package handler.
All of them are capable of handling dependencies but they will only do it if 'they' are doing the package downloading...ie as you have discovered, no dependency handling on already downloaded packages. 'Apt-get update' updates the database of installed and available packages and I have recently read (in another post here) that 'deselect update' does the same thing only better because there is more than one database file & deselect update keeps them in sync but apt-get update doesn not.
'Apt-get upgrade' attempts to upgrade everything in sight....best to avoid as there seems to always be a problem with something.
'Apt-get -t unstable <package>' will upgrade that individual package to whatever version is in unstable.
I generally use apt-get for upgrading/installing packages because it's easy & you can specify unstable or whatever, Kpackage (& Synaptic) are really useful for shopping for packages as you can get a list of what is available. Dselect can also be used for shopping but it's a PITA to use.
For Mustang64 who is trying to upgrade kde, I have 'apt-get -t install kdebase' (& the other kde meta packages) from knoppix 3.3 & it went OK. It will give you kde 3.2.3, you will have a couple of odd bugs to fix (ksplash will stall but still work) but no really big problems. I eventaully made a remastered knoppix 3.3 upgraded to kde3.2 but then tried 'apt-get upgrade' which caused so many problems I gave up & switched to knoppix 3.4. I will be remastering it also....My goal is to get something better than my Mandrake 9.2 system but based on Debian so I can keep it up to date easier.