PDA

View Full Version : Is this a big problem?

kb
06-08-2004, 11:28 PM
When I try to install knoppix on my old, comp. it tells me "NO COPROCESSOR FOUND AND NO MATH EMULATION PRESENT." what does this all mean? Is this a big problem? can i still install knoppix? if yes how?

kb
06-08-2004, 11:47 PM
ive been looking around and found out that, the kernel I used was optimized so that it required a math coprocessor to be present. A 486sx is a 486 with the math coprocessor removed (Intel marketing trick to make cpu's sell for less). So i need to use a kernel that has coprocessor emulation. But i dont know how to do this.

kb
06-09-2004, 03:13 AM
this is a help forum, can some one please help me?

baldyeti
06-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Does your machine actually run off the CD? Then the message you are seeing is probably just a warning. I don't know if this is stil the case, but I remember Klaus Knopper explaining he always compiled his kernels for i386, so that knoppix can demo linux even on older HW.

eco2geek
06-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Herr Knopper discusses nuking math emulation in the debian-knoppix mailing list in April, 2003 (link (http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-April/002570.html)). So it would seem your choices are somewhat limited.

You might:

Buy a 486DX/100 chip to replace your 486SX chip (if it's not soldered to the mobo);
Find an older version of Knoppix with math emulation still enabled;
Install Debian Woody instead (which is what I'd personally recommend).

(IIRC, 486SX's were actually 486DX's with defective FPUs that didn't pass quality control -- so Intel just disabled their FPUs and sold 'em for cheaper. However, there is still the theory out there that Intel did actually disable the FPUs on stock 486DX's and sell them as 486SX's, although this seems to be the "as yet to be proven" view.)

kb
06-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Herr Knopper discusses nuking math emulation in the debian-knoppix mailing list in April, 2003 (link (http://mailman.linuxtag.org/pipermail/debian-knoppix/2003-April/002570.html)). So it would seem your choices are somewhat limited.

You might:

Buy a 486DX/100 chip to replace your 486SX chip (if it's not soldered to the mobo);
Find an older version of Knoppix with math emulation still enabled;
Install Debian Woody instead (which is what I'd personally recommend).

(IIRC, 486SX's were actually 486DX's with defective FPUs that didn't pass quality control -- so Intel just disabled their FPUs and sold 'em for cheaper. However, there is still the theory out there that Intel did actually disable the FPUs on stock 486DX's and sell them as 486SX's, although this seems to be the "as yet to be proven" view.)

are these the only options? does debian have emulation enabled? can i install debian and rund knoppix as a bootable cd? cant i d-load something that has the math emulation installed on it? and run knoppix? im so close and i need answers

kb
06-10-2004, 12:21 AM
can i install debian with a cd-rw?

eadz
06-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Try an older knoppix version, one with the math coprocessor emulation..

eco2geek
06-10-2004, 07:27 AM
The reason I recommend Debian Woody is that since your computer's slow, stock Woody with a window manager like IceWM or Fluxbox would be just about right. (KDE and Gnome will probably run but very slowly.)

You can find out all about getting and installing Woody by reading The Very Verbose Debian 3.0 Installation Walkthrough (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016&page=1) or the official Debian installation manual (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install).

kb
06-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Try an older knoppix version, one with the math coprocessor emulation..

which one?

kb
06-10-2004, 03:40 PM
im trying to install debian im from the u.s and went to install mirror, and followed this: /dists/stable/main/disks-XXXX/ which one do i have to d-load i386, or alpha? (im trying to boot it from a floppy) and from there where do i go?

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/

eco2geek
06-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Although you're supposed to be able to install Debian fairly easilly over the network, I haven't tried it -- I just downloaded and burned the first 3 ISOs from a local Debian mirror (ftp://ftp.orst.edu/debian-cdimage/images/3.0_r2/i386/). You boot off the first CD to start the installation. You need the i386 version.

kb
06-10-2004, 06:26 PM
all i do is just d-load the first 3 isos? and then what?

Gnu Penguin
06-10-2004, 08:35 PM
What is the i486SX chip you are currently using?
Is it a i486SX-25?

You never said what the clock speed was of your processor.

The reason I am asking is that I have a i486DX2-50 sitting in front of me.
It has 168 pins
It seems as though it would be compatible with a i486SX-25.
It runs with a system bus speed of 25Mhz

If the chip I have is compatible with your motherboard, then it is yours.

Please let me know if an i486DX2-50 will work with your mobo, and I will send it to you at no charge.

Please note that the chip is also untested, and I do not know if it will work.

You get what you pay for, I guess.

:roll:

kb
06-10-2004, 09:07 PM
i wen to the site and downloaded the first three now what?

kb
06-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Although you're supposed to be able to install Debian fairly easilly over the network, I haven't tried it -- I just downloaded and burned the first 3 ISOs from a local Debian mirror (ftp://ftp.orst.edu/debian-cdimage/images/3.0_r2/i386/). You boot off the first CD to start the installation. You need the i386 version.

I have a question i d-loaded the first one and its about 500 megs. how are three of them going to fit in one cd unless i use a dvd.? im not sure what to do.

eco2geek
06-11-2004, 05:38 AM
Um, no offense meant, but you do realize that each of those ISOs are meant to be burned to a separate 700M blank CD-R, don't you?

Actually, I don't understand why you're so intent on using your old 486SX in the first place. IMHO, dealing with a modern Linux distro on a '486 (even a DX4/100) in anything but text mode can certainly be done, but it would be an exercize in frustration. Way too slow. I have Debian Woody on a P266 and it's frustratingly slow running X Windows.

But a computer with a ~500MHz CPU will run Knoppix just fine, from personal experience.

I don't know what country you live in, but in the US, old computers are plentiful and dirt cheap.

If your case is in good condition, you don't even have to buy a whole "new" computer. You could buy a used AT-style motherboard and a Pentium-level CPU from eBay for cheap and replace the 486 motherboard.

If you're in a hurry to install Knoppix, why don't you simply repartition the hard drive on the computer you're using now (which I assume is faster than a 486)? Or buy a second hard drive? Knoppix will fit on a ~5GB partition, which is tiny by today's standards.

:?: :?: :?: