PDA

View Full Version : Making the HDD install bootable with Grub...

ironstorm
11-14-2002, 07:33 AM
Hi all,

I tried to install knoppix at a machine at my work today... I could not
figure out how to make grub install afterwards (I used a boot disk
to get back into the HDD install).

when I do a `mount` command I don't see the root file system listed, even
though the fstab shows it should be on /dev/hda7 ... I've never messed
with a devfs before, so what do I need to do to make grub or lilo boot it up
proper or is this some kind of LVM stuff?

Any insight appreicated

-Ironstorm

dagwood
11-15-2002, 09:15 AM
i would also prefer using grub but, my primary problem is getting LILO written to hda. i am forced to keep XP on my first drive (work) but use hdb for trying out different linux distros. knoppix copies over from disk to my hdb partitions just fine but i can't get it to boot even with the boot disk. not sure how to write a new lilo or grub to the mbr on hda. anyone have ideas. i'm this one problem away from being a Debian user (tried numerous others; Gentoo seems great but too difficult for my current expertise level). love the Knoppix live cd. runs pretty good as is but would like it on my system with a dual-boot option

KnoDeb
11-15-2002, 09:56 PM
If you try partimage you will not have the hda1 available for imaging, hmmm that's a problem.

It is not for ghost but I would like to stay oss.

You guys get an answer post it here !!

Thanks

paco
11-17-2002, 07:24 AM
i would also prefer using grub but, my primary problem is getting LILO written to hda. i am forced to keep XP on my first drive (work)

I don't know that this will work for you but it has for me. Being you must keep XP on hda, there is a small boot loader that I found on download.cnet, I believe it is called BOOT-US, installs in the boot area of hda and will call lilo on hdb, may work for you. It ain't grub but this ain't Kansas either. If it works for you is the main thing. 8)

11-17-2002, 07:57 AM
i would also prefer using grub but, my primary problem is getting LILO written to hda. i am forced to keep XP on my first drive (work) but use hdb for trying out different linux distros. knoppix copies over from disk to my hdb partitions just fine but i can't get it to boot even with the boot disk. not sure how to write a new lilo or grub to the mbr on hda. anyone have ideas. i'm this one problem away from being a Debian user (tried numerous others; Gentoo seems great but too difficult for my current expertise level). love the Knoppix live cd. runs pretty good as is but would like it on my system with a dual-boot option

move your linux drive to /dev/hda then use:

grub-install /dev/hda

where /boot/grub/menu.lst has a config file with the following line
in it for XP....

# Boot Windows XP
title Windows XP Pro
# make /dev/hdb look like /dev/hda to Windows XP
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

# Boot Linux
title Debian GNU/Linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-smp-pre7-rmap14a-xfs-uml-shawn12d root=/dev/hda1 append="hdd=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"

Fabian
11-23-2002, 08:26 PM
I know this problem ...

It did cost me nerves ...

It was the BIOS it never booted the MBR, but the first partition directly ...

I did then move the WIN-XP to another partition ...

But I was able to boot from the grub-general-boot-disk:

My Partition was /dev/hda6 for linux ...

From knoppix I started:

grub-floppy /dev/fd0

Then I booted from that floppy and used the following commands:

root (hd0,5)
kernel /vmlinuz append="hdc=scsi hdd=scsi"
boot

It worked !

cu

Fabian