PDA

View Full Version : Can remaster, but not install the result to the HD...

stuart_b
06-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Okay, after two tries I'm getting closer to what I want. Actually three--the first time I put my working install on hda1 and the copy of the CD on hda4, and it about drove me crazy trying to change all the commands in the tutorial...

But both successful remasters have left behind the knoppix-installer. I even deliberately copied it from my installed copy the second time when I found it missing the first time. And for me, getting that so I can install to the hard drive is the whole reason for the project. So I'm getting a little frustrated.

Otherwise, just using apt-get and dpkg to add and remove stuff in the chrooted environment seems so intuitive compared to what you have to di with Morphix.

CrashedAgain
06-10-2004, 04:58 AM
Are you removing KDE? The package knx-installer gets removed if you remove KDE because it depends on kdelibs4 which gets removed when you remove KDE by doing 'apt-get libarts1' to trash kde. I had this happen also.
Perhaps you can do 'apt-get install knx-installer' after removing kde? I'm trying a different route, upgrading kde bit-by-bit instead of removing & reinstalling all at once. I'm remastering knx 3.3, removing what I dont want & upgrade to KDE3.2. Maybe I should just start from knx 3.4....

stuart_b
06-10-2004, 07:11 AM
"Are you removing KDE? The package knx-installer gets removed if you remove KDE because it depends on kdelibs4 which gets removed when you remove KDE by doing 'apt-get libarts1' to trash kde. I had this happen also."

Well, that WOULD explain it. My whole point in doing this is to put together an easy install for a server, and was hoping to get by without KDE--and use XFCE. I suppose I can live with KDE and just eliminate all the other desktops, or go to v. 3.3 and use knx-hdinstall instead of knoppix-installer. I suspect I'd have to leave enough of KDE in it to run the installer in XFCE that I may as well just keep KDE. Just getting rid of OpenOffice will give me more than enough room on the CD for all the server bits, and KDE will be more familiar to the other people who will admin the things.

stuart_b
06-10-2004, 07:27 AM
" I'm remastering knx 3.3, removing what I dont want & upgrade to KDE3.2. Maybe I should just start from knx 3.4...."

By all means do that. I started to use Morphix for this because I wanted to remove several packages at once and found in 3.3 Kpackage wouldn't work, and I had trouble installing Synaptic. In 3.4 Kpackage works fine. Only downside is that knx-hdinstall doesn't seem to be there.

For mine, after installing to the HD, I want to run it command line and launch the GUI with startx. That's another thing I found Knoppix was happier with than Morphix--but it wants to run KDE. Since the installer needs KDE, maybe I'll just let it.

CrashedAgain
06-11-2004, 12:38 AM
near as I can tell, the installer doesn't need KDE, just kdelib4. Run 'apt-cache showpkg knx-installer' it will show what the dependencies are. I can't check right now, I'm not in Knoppix.
'apt-get install knx-installer' should install only what is required.