PDA

View Full Version : configure lilo after knoppix 3.4 hd install

dakota201
06-10-2004, 06:24 AM
Forgive me if this has been posted before, I'm new here.
I did the hard drive install of Knoppix 3.4 and I love it!!!
I've had Mandrake 7, 9.1 and 10, Suse, Red Hat 7, Phlak, and Fedora. This was by far the easiest install I have ever had and everything worked on the first try!
I still consider myself a Linux newbie. I play around with it but never really dive in too deep.
Here's my problem.
Dual boot Win98/Knoppix.34 Lilo defaults to Linux in 1 second!
I have 5 options
Linux
Linux 2.4
Linux 2.6
Windows hda1
Windows hda2
All I want are the options of Linux and Windows hda1 and I want to default to Windows, I've tried editing etc/lilo.config and no matter what I do it still defaults to linux in about one second. Mandrake had a nice GUI to edit lilo, choose defualts, delete choices....I can't find that in Knoppix. I tried going to the admin.....edit lilo.....did all that several times and still no luck.
HELP!!!

olivers
06-10-2004, 08:32 AM
All I want are the options of Linux and Windows hda1 and I want to default to Windows, I've tried editing etc/lilo.config and no matter what I do it still defaults to linux in about one second. Mandrake had a nice GUI to edit lilo, choose defualts, delete choices....I can't find that in Knoppix. I tried going to the admin.....edit lilo.....did all that several times and still no luck.
HELP!!!

Did you run lilo to implement your configuration after editing /etc/lilo.conf ? You probably know this, but hey maybe the Mandrake GUI was so nice you didn't have to...

first edit lilo.conf and run the command lilo:
root@yourcomputername#lilo

If it works it should print some messages like
Added entry Linux
Added entry Windows hda1

tonylmiller
06-10-2004, 02:05 PM
I had the same issue, and I just edited my lilo config file, ran the lilo command, and viola! Everything was great! I even changed the default to Win 98 because my kids use that computer most of the time.

dakota201
06-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks. I didn't run the lilo command, I just rebooted thinking the changes to liloconfig would take affect. I'll try the command and let you know.....