PDA

View Full Version : Boot Menu at startup

techfreak
06-10-2004, 07:54 AM
2 QUESTIONS :idea:

A. Knoppix 3.4 currently boots to a default linux lilo prompt "knoppix: ...." where you can specify boot options. Is it possible to customize it to boot to a menu so you can pick different boot options like Lilo when you install it on hard drive. For example

Welcome to Knoppix pick one of the options below.
1. Boot Knoppix kernel 2.6
2. Boot Knoppix Kernel 2.4
3. Boot MS DOS
4. Boot Win 2k Recovery Console
5. BLA BLA BLA just boot the damn thing

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

B. Once I get the Menu setup how would I lunch custom script pertaining to the option I pick so it automatically lunches once I pick that option?

arkaine23
06-10-2004, 03:45 PM
Yes, you can edit /etc/lilo.conf after you install it to your hard drive. You can set an image as the background and list several different boot options.

Here's mine-
http://kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&file=11098-1.png&name=EnterTheLinux+-++lilo%2Fgrub+splash+screen

On the bottom right I set it to give the choices-

Linux
Linux 2.6
Win2k

You probably can't set those special windows boot options through lilo though, but you could adjust the window's bootloader to be able to boot those choices and also to boot Linux instead of using Lilo.

techfreak
06-10-2004, 04:14 PM
I meant seting up a menu on the live cd it self not after it is installed on the hard drive. I waqnt to customize the cd so the user has a boot menu on the live cd, would I do it the same way as on the hard drive or not.