PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem

socrates
06-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Hi all

First of all, to avoid misunderstandings: I am a newbie to Linux. When I boot with the knoppix-cd, I get the following message:

SMP mptable: no processors registered!
BIOS bug, MP tavle errors detected!...
...disabling SMP support (tell your hw vendor)
hde: lost interrupt

Now, the strange thing is that the CD worked the first time I ran it. Then, I had some virus problems (sasser). After disinfecting my computer, formatting my c-partition ang getting everything back to work, I've been trying the knoppix-cd several times. Can anyone shed some light on this? Can anyone tell me what "SMP mptable", and "MP" are? Thanks a lot.

firebyrd10
06-10-2004, 09:35 PM
I can't help yo by telling you what that means but, chances are the burn is bad. Try typeing

testcd at bootup also try reburning.

Markus
06-10-2004, 09:51 PM
SMP is for multiprocessor computers. Try the cheatcode (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) nosmp.

socrates
06-10-2004, 11:54 PM
I've tried nosmp, it didn't help. I tried a new burn, still didn't work.

I also tried Mepis liveCD. It doesn't give any SMP-errors but fails right after doing some work on 'hde'. So I guess that's where the real problem is. But I've no clue what should be wrong with 'hde'...

Markus
06-11-2004, 07:20 AM
Did you try any more cheatcodes? Like: noscsi nodma
You could start with failsafe just to see if it'll boot.

socrates
06-11-2004, 12:17 PM
I just tried to run it failsafe. It starts loading but just stops after a line reading:

hde: attached ide-disk driver

However, before this it has already detected hdc-hde...

I just don't get it, everything worked fine the first time I ran the CD, before the virus attack. I'm thinking perhaps the virus attacked my bios, but that just seems to unbelievable. Firstly, becuase sasser (which was the only detected virus) does not do that and, secondly, because everything else works fine. It's so strange...