PDA

View Full Version : Possible fix to "Out of Range" problem for monitor

Matrox
06-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Just thought I'd share this just incase anyone has this problem and tries to search the forums for it.

I had my 19" LCD screen go blank and report "Out of Range" immediately after the initial screen where you can select boot options (cheat codes), and linux would start to boot. Then the screen would return right when X Windows starts. Shutting down would also cause the screen to go blank again since it's exiting X Windows.

If trying to set the refresh rate with the vsync/hsync commands doesn't work. Try "vga=normal" with no quotes as a boot option. worked like a charm. Also had display problems on my laptop that this seemed to fix it too.

Hope this helps someone out!

patelbhavesh
07-09-2004, 05:10 AM
Im running into the same problem.But the vga=normal does not work for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Free Software,Free Speech,Free Society
http://bhavesh.freeshell.org

softwaretester
07-09-2004, 02:08 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes

You'll see a referesh code.

ahfoo
07-11-2004, 07:50 AM
In my experience, the "Out of Range" issue is fairly common if you don't specify both the xmodule and the maximum screen resolution with the latter being the most important and the fomer making the latter unnecessary when you get it right.
Luckily, the xmodules listed on the cheat sheet are quite limited and self-explanatory.
I've generally had the Out of Range problem disappear by setting screen=1024x768. But if you don't set the right xmodule and your card is a 3D card, you won't get openGL working in games like Legacy Doom. You are playing Legacy Doom on an openGL 3D card, aren't you?

patelbhavesh
07-11-2004, 07:44 PM
In my experience, the "Out of Range" issue is fairly common if you don't specify both the xmodule and the maximum screen resolution with the latter being the most important and the fomer making the latter unnecessary when you get it right.
Luckily, the xmodules listed on the cheat sheet are quite limited and self-explanatory.
I've generally had the Out of Range problem disappear by setting screen=1024x768. But if you don't set the right xmodule and your card is a 3D card, you won't get openGL working in games like Legacy Doom. You are playing Legacy Doom on an openGL 3D card, aren't you?

I did a hdd install from knoppix.I have a i845 intel graphics chipset and Mitsubishi NX86LDC display.
Nope Im not playing any games like Legacy DOOM.Whenever I start my computer it always gives me this "Out of Range".I tried scree=1024X768 but the problem still remains.