PDA

View Full Version : mount: fs type devfs not supported by kernel

tnorala
06-11-2004, 06:01 AM
i did a hdinstall from 3.4 and the system boots fine except that when it starts off (after lilo), it puts up a small penguin and then i get this:

initrd-tools: 0.1.67
mount: fs type devfs not supported by kernel
umount: devfs: not mounted
INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
Welcome to KNOPPIX (HD-Installation)
<the rest is all usual boot stuff from here on>

my question is about those 2 failed mounts before the "real" installation. where are they coming from and why are they being done.

i haven't tweaked the startup files in anyway. i did the install using the knoppix-installer (beginner install) and there are no critical problems with the system. runs beautifully. knoppix folks have done an excellent job. but i would like to get rid of those 2 annoying devfs mounts (they slow down the boot process). can anyone tell me how to do this?

here is the relevant part of lilo.conf (the default is the 2.4.26 kernel):

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Linux"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=us"
read-only

and my partition table is:
/dev/hda1 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda3 Linux swap
/dev/hda4 Linux (ext3)
/dev/hda5 W95 FAT32

my computher has a cd-rw/dvd-rom, wireless card, ethernet card, modem, sound-card. everything works fine and there are no problems.

i understand (from this forum) that initrd is for hardware detection, but since i'm doing a hd-boot, the hardware is all detected and presumably recorded in various config files somewhere already. it is not going to change, so i wonder if i could even simply get rid of initrd. but first i'd like to understand where those mount msgs are coming from and why.

thanks in anticipation

Gozar
06-17-2004, 12:23 AM
i did a hdinstall from 3.4 and the system boots fine except that when it starts off (after lilo), it puts up a small penguin and then i get this:

initrd-tools: 0.1.67
INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
Welcome to KNOPPIX (HD-Installation)
<the rest is all usual boot stuff from here on>

my question is about those 2 failed mounts before the "real" installation. where are they coming from and why are they being done.

In short it's a virtual filesystem whitch is an alternative way of handling the /dev devices
And they come's because knoppix kernel.2.6.x don't have devfs enabled

Google also knows what devfs is
http://www.google.dk/search?q=what+is+devfs&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=da&btnG=Google-s%F8gning&meta=

brianfay
06-23-2004, 03:12 AM
I've got the same problem with dev fs. Anyone want to say how to stop it from attempting on boot? It takes a while to get over that little hiccough.

Thanks.

Gozar
06-23-2004, 03:29 AM
I've got the same problem with dev fs. Anyone want to say how to stop it from attempting on boot? It takes a while to get over that little hiccough.

Thanks.

What problem do you have?

That the kernel can't mount devfs?
(Then compile the kernel yourself!)

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/index.html