PDA

View Full Version : Save Config settings

Dooley
06-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi;
I am trying to get Knoppix to save my config settings with a 3.3 Hdd install.

I can't save any monitor settings it just refuses to do anything except 640x480 eventhough I used 800x600 when I did the install. I can't save the settings in Konqueror it also refuses. I can save both while running from CD and get Knoppix to use my settings by using knoppix save config or using cheat codes.

I have searched on this subject and all I can find are the topics on saving settings running from CD and or using cheat codes. I apolozgize if I missed something or overlooked the topic on saving config settings on a Hdd install.

If someone could point me to a tutorial or something I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dooley

j.drake
06-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Hello again.

Just a thought - what type of HD install did you do? If you did a "poor man's" or "beginner's", all that does is to copy the default CD image onto the HD, so that the same image just keeps loading over and over with each reboot, ignoring all changes you may have made. OTOH, if you used "knoppix-installer" or "knx-hdinstall" or "knx2hd", these should have essentially done a debian install, in which you change the installation as you change it (sorry, Yogi).

It's kind of misleading that these "meta-installations" are called hd installs, but that's the only thing I can think of to cause this. In all fairness, I haven't done a HD install or any type from Knoppix, so I'm just offering conjecture on the basis of what I've read on this site, rather than experience. Perhaps if you detail the installation approach you took, someone who knows better than I do can offer more meaningful help and experience.

JD

Dooley
06-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Hello again.

Just a thought - what type of HD install did you do? If you did a "poor man's" or "beginner's", all that does is to copy the default CD image onto the HD, so that the same image just keeps loading over and over with each reboot, ignoring all changes you may have made. OTOH, if you used "knoppix-installer" or "knx-hdinstall" or "knx2hd", these should have essentially done a debian install, in which you change the installation as you change it (sorry, Yogi).

It's kind of misleading that these "meta-installations" are called hd installs, but that's the only thing I can think of to cause this. In all fairness, I haven't done a HD install or any type from Knoppix, so I'm just offering conjecture on the basis of what I've read on this site, rather than experience. Perhaps if you detail the installation approach you took, someone who knows better than I do can offer more meaningful help and experience.

JD

Thank you for your reply JD.
I moved this to this forum per your suggestion but I guess it is either something which has been asked about numerious times or no one seems to know the answer.

I am very new to Linux and I don't know a rich mans from a poor mans install. I just loaded the CD and when it came to the boot screen, I used the cheat code to change the monitor res. and when it fully loaded I brought up a shell ternimal and used "knx-hdinstall", partitioned the drive with a swap and a linux partition, and it started copying the files to the HD. It never asked if I wanted to do anything different, maybe I should have known something I didn't know about the process maybe I need to reinstall with a different process. I have no idea where to get a tutorial or anything on the process and really don't know enough to know where to look.

I have been using Windows since 3.1 but I never tried to change any files as I have also been told that was a no no. I don't mean to sound stupid but I am when it comes to messing with files and things.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dooley

j.drake
06-13-2004, 05:30 AM
Well, if it's been asked before, I sure haven't seen the answer, so my guess is that folks are scratching their heads. I wish I knew what to tell you, but you have more experience at HD installs than I do!! Somehow, it sounds to me as if your HD installation is being treated as if it were a CD. On a "poor man's" or "beginner" install, this is done purposefully in order to provide some of the advantages of a HD install (e.g., faster seek time, easier saving of data, freeing up the CD drive) without the disadvantage of having something which might accidentally get goofed up. But, from what I understand, you did what you needed to do to get a real, honest-to-gosh HD install. I guess in the meantime you could experiment to use the "save Knoppix configuration" option that's intended for live-CD users, and see if that would help. You shouldn't have to use that, but at least it might relieve some frustration until you find a fix.

Hopefully someone will rescue you soon. At any rate, I bumped your thread for you. Good luck, and sorry I couldn't help.

JD

pulsar
06-14-2004, 07:10 PM
One way to save monitor settings is via the console as root: type "/usr/bin/kxconfig"

j.drake
06-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Well, I just learned some stuff here:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51820#51820

As you can see, I still have some questions, but I still think that the install you did is not a full-blown install. Sounds like you might need the Debian-style install for permanent configuration, and that what you don't want is Knoppix-style, as it sounds like you'll just keep going through the same detection problem with each reboot.