PDA

View Full Version : Cant get proper screen display ! Please help

Alex1
03-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Can anyone help with this one ?
I've installed Knoppix 3.1 to a new hard drive, with primary and swap partitions.
However on rebooting my system can't boot directly from H/D but can using the boot floppy disk created during the setup procedure.
Also I cannot get a decent screen display now using the 'fb800x600 command'.
The Knoppix bootup screen seems to have separated into three(3) screens which are totally unreadable and even when I manage to login the display I can just about make out appears to be in German.
I've tried resetting my boot sequence in the bios but no difference.
Should I be using the boot floppy at all, as I thought the system files should be read from the new hard drive.
Should I be using a particular command at the boot prompt to get the hard drive to mount or am I just missing something critical here ?
Any help gratefully received for this newbie to Linux.
Thanks

Alex :(

Loper
03-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Can anyone help with this one?... I cannot get a decent screen display now using the 'fb800x600 command'... The Knoppix bootup screen seems to have separated into three (3) screens which are totally unreadable... Thanks

This is a common problem with liquid crystal display (LCD) and some older CRT monitors due to an incompatible scan/refresh rate. What video card and monitor are you running? Have you tried the [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[+] or [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[-] key combinations (the +/- keys on the keypad) to change screen resolutions on-the-fly?

More information, as outlined above, would be useful.

You're welcome.

rickenbacherus
03-11-2003, 08:34 PM
However on rebooting my system can't boot directly from H/D but can using the boot floppy disk created during the setup procedure.

You need to install LILO the boot manager to the master boot record. Read this:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html

Also I cannot get a decent screen display now using the 'fb800x600 command'.

I assume that when you booted it from the CD passing 'fb800x600' made it work correctly? Unfortunately Knoppix is not capable of invoking the same change when you install it. To change it do this:

At the command prompt type:

cd /etc
mcedit XF86Config

If that doesn't work try this:

cd /etc/X11
mcedit XF86Config

*NOTE* XF86Config may actually be called XF86Config-4

Look at the XF86Config file. It contains all relevant settings for your video card, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. You will need to make sure that your screen sizes include "800x600". If you are unfamiliar with XFree86 I suggest you go here:
http://www.xfree86.org/