PDA

View Full Version : hotplug usb problem

docsneider
03-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Hello!

I have a Problem with my usb-port. If I boot knoppix with usb I have no sound (Soundblaster Live). If I use the option nousb while booting knoppix I hear the sound, but I will not be able to see any of my usb devices. I tried to start hotplug manually with "/etx/init.d/hotplug start" after the booting-process but that does not help. Has anyone an idea how to solve this problem?

Loper
03-09-2003, 09:45 PM
I have a Problem with my USB-port. If I boot Knoppix with USB I have no sound (SB Live). If I use the option nousb while booting Knoppix I hear the sound, but I will not be able to see any of my USB devices. I tried to start hotplug manually with /etx/init.d/hotplug start after the boot-process but that does not help. Has anyone an idea how to solve this problem?

What USB peripherals are you running? I had a similar problem once with a USB mouse -- I suspect it was timing -- that kept SuSE 8.0 from installing and, later, caused wierd problems when I tried it under Knoppix.

docsneider
03-10-2003, 07:36 PM
At the moment ther is only a 4-port usb hub and a Webcam running. But I also have an usb printer and a canon ixus digital camera.

It would be realy nice if anyone have a clue to this problem because I only have an usb printer. And without the printer it is not very useful to play around with knoppix for me.

The rest of knoppix is very intresting and I think about it to make the main of my working with linux.

docsneider
03-10-2003, 09:13 PM
I did not solved the problem above, but I find out the reason of it:
If my Webcam is plugged in there is obviously some conflict with the soundcard. The Webcam is a Phillips PCVC740K ToUcam Pro. My soundcard is a Sounblaster Live. If I plug in the Webcam after Booting everything works fine. So the problem is no longer so important.

But if anyone knows to solve please tell it to me!

PS: My printer over usb is working fine with knoppix ... so far so good :D

rickenbacherus
03-12-2003, 05:42 PM
I won't claim to know alot about USB but you might check out
www.usb-org. When you boot with a USB device connected it is called 'coldplugging' as opposed to hotplugging. There are some issues surrounding this. You might try passing the 'noapic' option at boot.

Gencho
01-26-2004, 09:25 AM
I did not solved the problem above, but I find out the reason of it:
If my Webcam is plugged in there is obviously some conflict with the soundcard. The Webcam is a Phillips PCVC740K ToUcam Pro. My soundcard is a Sounblaster Live. If I plug in the Webcam after Booting everything works fine. So the problem is no longer so important.
But if anyone knows to solve please tell it to me!
PS: My printer over usb is working fine with knoppix ... so far so good :D

I think that there is a problem with detecting two or more audio devices. The webcam has audio properties (a microphone), so i suppose Knoppix thinks that it's a (unsupported) soundcard and stops searching. Please tell me if someone knows a solution, or tell the developers to think about it.

I have also tried to boot in expert mode, but there is another problem, at least in Knoppix 3.3 - soundconfig ends with segmentation fault almost every time. I think that it's a known problem because I noticed several people metioning it in the forums.

Bye,
G.