PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

mati
06-12-2004, 10:01 AM
i have to questions :
1) how to make my knoppix english but not in KDE, in console (i have boot option lang=en) and i have compiled 2.6.7-rc2 kernel and every thing is in german :( i want english back

2) how to make /lib/modules/2.6.7-rc2/build point /root/build/kernel, not usr/src/linux-2.6.7-rc2

pleas help.

mati
06-12-2004, 03:39 PM
ok the answer for 2. question is not needed anymore but could somebody help me to change language PLEEAAAASSSSSS

!HOW TO CHANGE LANGUAGE IN KNOPPIX/LINUX!

CrashedAgain
06-12-2004, 03:56 PM
i have to questions :
1) how to make my knoppix english but not in KDE, in console (i have boot option lang=en) and i have compiled 2.6.7-rc2 kernel and every thing is in german :( i want english back

try lang=us instead of lang=en. Or (better) install the package 'localepurge' and remove support for all other languages except english.

Penguinrocker
06-12-2004, 03:59 PM
can u run applications on the live cd?

mati
06-12-2004, 05:16 PM
hy i've reinsalled knoppix and everything was allright again and then i compiled
new kernel 2.6.7-rc2 and then the language became german again :evil: i dont understend perhaps i need to change something in lilo.conf

can enybody help me

CrashedAgain
06-12-2004, 09:12 PM
hy i've reinsalled knoppix and everything was allright again and then i compiled
new kernel 2.6.7-rc2 and then the language became german again :evil: i dont understend perhaps i need to change something in lilo.conf

can enybody help me

In the "append=" line in /etc/lilo.conf for the section which boots your new kernel add "lang=en" or "lang=us".

mati
06-12-2004, 09:38 PM
hmm.... thanks but i have allrady add lang=us in lilo.conf but the language is still german and this is the thing that i dont understend :wink:
any ideas???

but thanks for answer

baldyeti
06-12-2004, 10:08 PM
What's the content of your /etc/environment?

mati
06-12-2004, 10:23 PM
in /etc/enviroment i had lang=pl_PL i have changed it to lang=us_US and it still dosent work it is still german

baldyeti
06-12-2004, 10:30 PM
What do you exactly mean "console is in German"? Is the output of command like 'ls' in German? What do you get for "echo $LANG $LANGUAGE $COUNTRY"

BTW, I don't think us_US is a valid locale. C, en_GB or en_US are.

mati
06-13-2004, 10:32 AM
i mean that when i for example type mount /dvd/ and notihing is in CD i get "keine medium gefunden" most of errors are in german
when i type netcardconfig i get "Willst du DHCP .... "

echo $LANG is de_DE@euro
$LANGUAGE is de

baldyeti
06-13-2004, 12:26 PM
echo $LANG is de_DE@euro
$LANGUAGE is de
Ah, that's why, then...
Try editing your /etc/environment and selecting one of the valid English locales I mentioned in my previous post.
Also, did you rerun "lilo -v" after editing /etc/lilo.conf? Otherwise, your changes are not active yet.

mati
06-13-2004, 01:33 PM
hy thenks for answer but i've solved my problem i had to edit /etc/sysconfig/2.6.7-rc2/i18n

and set there enviroment variables

LANG=""
LC_ALL=""
LANGUAGE=""
COUNTRY=""

when i changed etc/enviroment it didn't worked
but thanks very mach for answering

at last i fully understend my knoppix :wink: