PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix V3.4/Kernel 2.6 & DLink De530+/DEC 21041 Cards

rec9140
06-12-2004, 05:09 PM
I've decided to move to the latest and greaest Knoppix version since my testbed machine is using quite and outdated one.

So I do another first and DL the ISO (previously limited BW on ISDN prevented this in a timely manner.) and get a CD burnt.

OK it boots fine to Kernel 2.4.x. Actually even DHCP now works which it previously did not, but that also still may be a router issue with the ISDN router v. the new cable router. It even booted with A WHOLE LOT LESS trial and error to get it to work on my ancient test machine.

The ONLY problem I have with V3.4 & Kernel 2.6 is networking. It WONT work.

On either machine it dies if I allow DHCP or use netcardconfig or pump or any of the other tips in the forums. :evil: :evil:

The network cards in both machines are old DLink DE530+ PCI Cards that are connected via Cat5 to my Netgear switch and router. All work fine under wimpdoze, and GREAT under V3.4/Kernel 2.4.x and DHCP operates.

Any one got any clues or hints, tricks, magical spells to try to get these DEC DC21041 Tulip based cards to work with Kernel 2.6

Machine 1 - Test Bed Machine
Ancient PA-2007 MB w/160MB RAM
Acer 6206 CD-RW
Acer 32x CD-ROM
Ancient TGA8900 Trident VGA
Junky Yamaha YMF724 Audio Card - WORKS FINE
2 old IDE HD's (One with Knoppix from 1/03 installed)

Machine 2 - Newer PC soon to be test machine
Abit KT-7R w/384MB RAM
LG CD-RW/DVD-ROM
Creative 52x IR CD-ROM
Creative SB Live
EVGA/Nvidia MX440SE 64MB
40G IDE HD

It took a LOT of cheatcodes previously to get the PA2007 to boot w/Knoppix from 1/03 now:
knoppix26 lang=us screen=800x600 xmodule=vesa xsever=XFree86 xvrefresh=60 nodhcp nodma

Which DMA is RENABLED manually for the HD after boot and is fine. I don't know what the deal on boot up is, but what ever. Will see what happens when I install it on 20GB drive thats just been waiting for V3.4. :D I also have a few new old laptop refugees arriving soon that hopefully will get Knoppixed to use daily. :D

Before I do that I want to get a solution to networking on kernel V2.6.

Thanks in advance.

rec9140
06-13-2004, 04:10 PM
Any solutions to this problem for Kernel 2.6.x in V3.4?

Booting the CD with DHCP active results in a HARD FREEZE PC is dead completely locked up

Using cheatcode NODHCP allows BOTH to boot to a fully operable enviroment.

Running netcardconfig, AFTER inputing all the various entries results in HARD FREEZE locked up PC.

Dies with this line in the screen:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up

At this point its frozen and the only way to recover is to hit reset.

Occurs on both PC's same thing.

Tried the various tricks in the forum about pump, same thing, LOCKED UP PC(s).

Thanks in advance.