PDA

View Full Version : The Evil Black Screen

Xemoka
06-13-2004, 12:46 AM
OK, i realise this topic has been covered before, however without any answers that worked for me.

I have an AMD Athalon 1800+, 392MB of ram, and 120mb Hard Disk Space total.

I burnt the image to the CD normally (i burn CD images all the time) and booted with the CD. The CD Brings up the Boot menu perfectly. Then whenever i type in Knoppix, it then starts the startup sequence, however it's just a black screen, and my CD drive stops flickering. The only way to actually boot is by failsafe. This occurs with both 2.6.* kernel and the 2.4.* (stars because i can't remember the numbe off hand, pathetic eh?) (default) kernel. In both Knoppix 3.4 and 3.3.

Now for my thoughts. I used to be able to get 3.3 to boot perfectly. My hypothesis would be:

That 120 MB of disk space is new since the last time i booted to Knoppix, could it be that having 2 hard drives (one as master one as slave, using the Cable jumper setting on both drives, hooked up correctly, well under windows correctly) could cause Knoppix to not like booting?

It would be great to find out, as in about 3 weeks i'm converting my whole system to Linux, and i'm hoping i wont run into this problem.

Markus
06-13-2004, 08:40 AM
I think you need to experiment with a set of cheatcodes. Impossible to say which would work but you could start with something like nodma noscsi xmodule=whateveryouhave vga=normal
Linux usually doesn't like cable-select on hd:s, so best to jumper them master and slave.

Xemoka
06-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Linux usually doesn't like cable-select on hd:s, so best to jumper them master and slave.

I didn't realise this... and after looking around on the net for it, maybe it's just a specific knoppix thing as other say they have cable select, however suggest master/slave.

I'll try those areguments aswell...