PDA

View Full Version : Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed

lindleyrl
03-10-2003, 05:57 AM
As a new Linux users, I would suggest adding these technology into Knoppix. I understand that Linux Gurus out there say learn to do it yourself - - etc... But to make Knoppix truly Linux friendly, I would suggest including these into the package. Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed. Knoppix already rocks - but let me switch completely on my machines. Thanks. :)

god
03-10-2003, 06:02 AM
too big.. to add those files you have to cut a ton.. .not to mention that some of those programs are not legal to distribute.....

lindleyrl
03-10-2003, 06:07 AM
None of the above can be added?

god
03-10-2003, 06:15 AM
nope.. however, i believe Real and Quicktime are supported by Xine and/or XMMS.... if you install to a hard drive the flash download is easy and painless.... and i believe java is similar....

mabhatter
03-10-2003, 06:19 AM
Knoppix may be getting enough press to pull something like that off.
If the protected-but-free stuff was available seperately [for the GNU fans] and accountabily[for the corps], I would think a number of companies would start aggreeing to it?

Eventually, some of the familiar hold-outs will have to start agreeing to something other than individual downloads--things like Knoppix just aren't usefull without [i]all the features on the disc!

god
03-10-2003, 06:24 AM
from what I hear nvidia has allowed it now... at least to alex, when he asked... I think Klaus just has not gotten around to asking, doesnt know they allow it, or doesnt want the nvidia drivers.... no idea which...

lindleyrl
03-10-2003, 03:21 PM
Just to emphasize my content and reason for Knoppix's success thus far: Ease of use (CD base option), superb hardware detection (a huge factor), and geeky (chic) :) . The fact that this distro boots and works from CD is cool, but if it never had the factor of excellent hardware detection then it too would be just like the rest of the distro - boring for the avg user. But if Linux is to gain market share on desktops (replace Windows), Knoppix distribution is the type of solution.

The key people is USER FRIENDLINESS - let the geeks modify the code in the background if they wish! Just My POV.

:D

Robert Michel
03-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Salve lindleyrl!

> I understand that Linux Gurus out there say learn to do it yourself
>- - etc...
I don't think that this is the point. Closed software like Flash-plugins are too suspect to have it with Debian. BTW Knoppix
based on Debian and so I gues the Knoppix Developer think like
Debianer.

> But to make Knoppix truly Linux friendly, I would suggest including
> these into the package. Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime
> integration

I already had the same idea (Real, Flash) but not to be part of Knoppix, I thought about a skript to be able to install it on demand.
Gerneraly I must agree, that for newbies and desktop-user these
software would be *realy* wellcomed to be part of Knoppix
but I have doupts if a normal user should be use Real and Flash with
his normal account.
With my normal Debainsystem I have a normal Useraccount like "rob"
and "rob-real" only to use real - if I can't avoid to use real.
Call my paranoid, but I will create also a user "rob-web" only
for webbrouwsing.

When Knoppix get real, fash software, I would support that this is
only possible with a special user-account. Don't blaim my Freak
or Guru if I think this could educate newbies to don't do everythink
with one account. Software of the compressed directory KNOPPIX
should be split in KNOPPIX-secure and KNOPPIX-unsecure and the
user could choose with CheatCode "secure" that KNOPPIX-unsecure
software is not used.

Would this be an compromis?
BTW, does the lizences of these software allow to be part of Knoppix?

Who like to write a skript to be abele to use these software on
demand (install by skript)

Greetings
rob

aay
03-11-2003, 03:35 AM
from what I hear nvidia has allowed it now... at least to alex, when he asked... I think Klaus just has not gotten around to asking, doesnt know they allow it, or doesnt want the nvidia drivers.... no idea which...

Alex was able to include the Nvidia drivers because of the "linux exception" in Nvidia's license.

"2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files)."

The nice thing about this is anyone can include them. The entire license is here (http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nv_swlicense)

god
03-11-2003, 03:41 AM
i think a swap of "nvidia" for "nv" is in order....

Fabianx
03-28-2003, 09:18 PM
As a new Linux users, I would suggest adding these technology into Knoppix. I understand that Linux Gurus out there say learn to do it yourself - - etc... But to make Knoppix truly Linux friendly, I would suggest including these into the package. Flash, Java, Real, and Quicktime integration needed. Knoppix already rocks - but let me switch completely on my machines. Thanks. :)

Klaus can't include it, but you can install it for yourself also to cdrom and it can then be stored with configuration ... running such a setup since days ... Here is a saml skript that allows installing of flash on demand. I hope it wil be integrated into official distribution soon, already talked to Klaus, but it'll take a while, he has lots of stuff to do ...

#
# Install flash plugin - from website - is kept if configuration is saved!
#
# GPL -
#
# Author: Fabian Franz <knx-flash@fabian-franz.de>
#

cd /tmp
wget http://macromedia.mplug.org/tarball/debian/install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz
tar xzf install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz
cd install_flash_player_6_linux/
mkdir -p /home/knoppix/.netscape/plugins/
mkdir -p /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins/
cp flashplayer.xpt libflashplayer.so /home/knoppix/.netscape/plugins/
cp flashplayer.xpt libflashplayer.so /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins/
cd ..
#cleanup
rm -rf install_flash_player_6_linux/
rm -f install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz

# scan for new plugins
nspluginscan

Hope that helps!

cu

Fabian

Yakumo
03-28-2003, 09:38 PM
aay, who is this alex person? if he's integrated them into knoppix where can i get a version of knoppix with them?
alsa too ?

aay
03-28-2003, 10:56 PM
aay, who is this alex person? if he's integrated them into knoppix where can i get a version of knoppix with them?
alsa too ?

Alex (or Alextreeme) is the author of Morphix. You can find his nice work over at http://www.morphix.org

probono
03-29-2003, 02:54 AM
Are native Nvidia drivers useful for anything else than games? (I'm running an Nvidia card just fine without Nvidia drivers... just curious...)

aay
03-29-2003, 03:08 AM
Are native Nvidia drivers useful for anything else than games? (I'm running an Nvidia card just fine without Nvidia drivers... just curious...)

I don't know what you would need them for other than 3D gaming. Otherwise the nv drivers work well.

kawanda
05-20-2003, 09:29 AM
I tried to install the VM of SUN but was unsuccesful until:
- deinstall all default running java engines
* "dpkg -l |grep j2" and you get list
* "dpkg --purge [filenames see above]"
- download the SUN VM package "j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin"
- convert to exec "chmod 777 j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin"
* you can copy the file to for example /usr/share/java/
- install "./j2re-1_4_1_02-linux-i586.bin"
- make symbolic link in the plugin directory:
* cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
* ln -s /usr/share/java/j2re1.4.1_02/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so
- Start Mozilla en check "Help" - "About plug-ins"

rickenbacherus
05-21-2003, 10:38 PM

Personally, I absolutely refuse to use anything that isn't open source unless it's unavoidable. I love the fact that I don't get hit with "Oh my god! you don't have a flash plugin-you might not survive another day without one, do you want to install it?"

I wouldn't use Realplayer if it were the last media player on earth- there are such better programs out there. What's more- I don't trust anything with an installer-with an installer how is it any different than M$? I don't want some jerks code on my m=box unless I can read it for myself. I would have thought that after all the spyware apps out there for wimpdoze people would have learned a lesson.

I have yet to say to myself, "Gee I wish I had Quicktime installed."

Of course some people do like that sort of thing- to each his own right?

Just my .03 cents.