PDA

View Full Version : Installing my Printer

djtwok
06-13-2004, 09:45 AM
When I open the printer configuration a message appears "List of printers could not be transferred. Connection to CUPS Server didnt work. Please check if the CUPS Server is correctly installed and activated". I cant install any printer. What can i do ?

Markus
06-13-2004, 10:20 AM
You can start CUPS with: /etc/init.d/cupsys start
If it works add it to startup with: update-rc.d cupsys defaults

djtwok
06-13-2004, 10:49 AM
After typing the command this message appears:

Starting printing system service: cupsdcupsd: Child exited with status 1!

But I still get the same error message when installing a printer

Markus
06-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Hmm, something wrong with cups then. Do you get any errors with typing: cupsd

EDIT: You have to do these as root. So type first sudo su to become root in a shell, and exit from su with ctrl-d.

djtwok
06-13-2004, 11:49 AM
I get "child exited with Status 98!"

Markus
06-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Starting to look like this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592
How are you going about this? K-menu -> KNOPPIX -> Configure -> Configure Printers ?
Do you see any specific error messages with: cat /var/log/cups/error_log ?
Is cups running even though it supposedly exited: ps fax|grep cups
Which version of Knoppix do you have?
Sorry for just having questions instead of answers :wink:

j.drake
06-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Starting to look like this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592

Yep, deja vu! I remember having trouble then. What I learned is that it sometimes matters how you configure printers in KDE. Don't know why. Before you go poking around with console commands as root, tell us specifically how you are getting there. Oftentimes, if I get there by K->KNOPPIX-> etc., it doesn't work for me. But if I start at the penguin icon instead, then go to Configure, then set up printers, it works fine. I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it does sometimes.

JD