PDA

View Full Version : knx2hd install: what to expect?

linda
06-13-2004, 04:54 PM
I've been reading through so many threads, but I haven't found one that tells you what to expect at each step of the install.
I know what I want on my system, I want dual-boot WinXP and Knoppix, using Lilo on the Knoppix root partition, (so I can edit it and not mess up my winxp MBR).
I also want Lilo on a Boot floppy. Actaully I am trying to follow the instructions at LWD's dual-boot instructions. They used Mandrake, and I had done that before (pretty easy) but I am having a little trouble tweaking it for a Knoppix install.
Can anyone help me?

j.drake
06-13-2004, 06:35 PM
I installed Mandrake that way, not Knoppix. I used a second HD, edited my BIOS to make it the primary boot drive, instead of the Windows drive, and installed Mandrake with Lilo on the new primary drive. That way, I never touched the C: drive or its MBR - the computer booted into the linux drive, and LILO asked which system I wanted to use. This was a little less than a year ago, I didn't really know what I was doing then, and I had some problems, but it did work. I read something here that gave me the idea.