PDA

View Full Version : Can't print to hp3420 deskjet over lan

turbine
06-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Got an hp3420 deskjet hung on a win98 box which is on my lan. Got knoppix 3.3 hdd install on another box, got samba running can see everything on the lan from knoppix. Configured printer via kde and tried to do a test print. Stuff goes to the print queue on the win98 box, the printer starts to move the heads and then just hangs. When I look in the print queue on the win98 I can see the job just sitting there, it says that the status is "printing", but nothing ever happens. Eventually have to power cycle the printer to clear the queue so other stuff can print. Yes printing goes just fine from other win98 boxes on this lan.

Please help as this is a very crucial step in my attempt to migrate away from M$ to knoppix. Gotta be able to print over my lan.

turbine
06-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Here's what I did. On the win98 box that has the printer, under printer properties -> Spool Settings click on the radio button that says "Disable bi-directional support for this printer". Now it prints. Gotta go check if this screwed up any of the printing from the other win98 boxes. This is good progress.