PDA

View Full Version : adduser in HD install

Mustang64
06-14-2004, 05:09 AM
:x I think I installed my Knoppix wrong. :x

Ver 3.3, used hdinstall from live CD

Now when I do adduser, and go through all the password stuff, Knoppix still comes up, at boot, as user being "knoppix".

I heard Knoppis can load to HD three ways; one is the default user being "knoppix"; one that lets you define a prime user, and a root user, complete with passwords, you can also add more "users" and passwords that can be selected during boot-up; and a debain install??

Am I making any sense??? :?

I think that because I did the default hdinstall thing, I can't add more users... :(

Help!

champagnemojo
06-14-2004, 07:47 AM
It sounds like you did the knoppix-style install. This one is basically just like having the live-cd on your hard drive. You want to do the debian-style install...it'll let you change all your settings and install programs easily and such.

The debian-style install in the newer knoppix-installer script will let you choose your username along with your passwords for the user and root. If you're using knx-hdinstall, you still want to choose the debian-style...and you'll still get to set all of the passwords, but the username will be knoppix until you change it manually after the install.

The third type of install is called "beginner" and i think is only in v3.4...from what I understand it's just like the debian-style install, but also does the bootup hardware detection that's done when running knoppix live.

Mustang64
06-14-2004, 09:43 PM
I've read several posts about problems with the 3.4 install. Sopmethings that work OK in 3.3 won't work at all in 3.4 :?

With that in mind, is the upgrade to 3.4 worth it for the "beginners" install, or can the script be used to install the 3.3 as well???

champagnemojo
06-14-2004, 10:01 PM
You don't necessarily need to get the latest if you're installing to the harddrive. The detection stuff that the beginner install gives you probably won't be of any use to you anyways. And you can use apt-get to update your packages once everything is installed.

The only thing you have to consider is that you'll have the older version of KDE. So you'll probably be wanting to update that, which can be confusing for some people. But as long as you don't mind doing a lot of updating and fixing dependency issues here and there and such, there's no reason you have to get 3.4.

With that said, don't be afraid to try 3.4. From what I've seen, it seem like the latest release fixed the biggest issues people were having.

tonylmiller
06-15-2004, 01:42 PM
I am dual booting Win 98 SE and knoppix 3.4. The installer worked like a charm for me, including lilo boot manager.