PDA

View Full Version : 2004-05-17 boots insanely slow

natrius
06-14-2004, 10:26 AM
For some reason, booting the 2004-05-17 version of Knoppix is very slow on my laptop. Even the Knoppix image above the boot prompt loads slowly like an image on a web page over a dial up connection. When I try to continue booting, the dots that start going across the screen appear at a rate of about one each minute. When I try this same CD in another computer, it boots at a normal speed (some errors pop up later, but I'm more concerned about the boot speed). Other versions of Knoppix boot normally on the laptop. Anyone have any idea as to what would cause this?

Linuxshark
06-14-2004, 01:07 PM
I seem to have the very same issue, although I use the 05-17 version, HDD install.

It did not do this in the beginning. After some weeks without change (except apt-get upgrade and -update) there was a step during bootup which reads like this:

Atrating NIS Services... ypbind[binding to yp server... (10 dots appear, one each 30 or so seconds) backgrounded.

after 3 or 4 minutes the dots at the end of "[binding to yp server....." stop and it reads "backgrounded" at the end of the dotline.

I have no idea what this may come from. Is there any way to get rid of it again? It has worked perfectly before.

djransom
06-23-2004, 05:06 PM
I too had that problem. It appears that when an upgrade is done to the sytem a new form of NIS is installed. This is the ypserver that you see happening. I just removed the NIS package from my computer (not exactly sure what it does but I don't appear to need it) and it now starts up much faster.

One other thing you could do is to remove the ypserver from your rc.d directories and that should also do it.
su
update-rc.d -f ypserver remove
That should do it I think. You may need to change the name of the file to do so (look in your /etc/rc[0-5].d directories to make sure of the name) but it should stop it from automatically starting up.

I noticed that a lot of new services began to start up on boot after the upgrade and have been removing them one by one.

dwallace
07-04-2004, 06:19 PM
(I also posted this in another thread, but haven't gotten an answer yet)

Hi.. It's my first day trying linux and I'm having this same problem. I tried searching for the answer based on the comment that ghetto had asked it before and been answered, but I can't seem to find it.

If it is the NIS that is causing me grief, how do I get to a place to type the apt-get remove nis?

As ghetto said, I don't get to a prompt.. just goes like normal, then the NIS thing that takes forever, then a black screen/out of range (if I'm on the lcd).

Thanks in advance!