PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Install Knoppix 3.4 on a Dell Poweredge 1750

Elkabong
06-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Hello All,

I am a newbie to both Linux but was recommended to this site by a friend who said that I can use Knoppix to install Debian (Sarge).

My problem is that I am trying to install Knoppix to the HDD without any success.

My Dell has 2 x 36GB SCSI Drives with RAID I (MegaRaid Card)
Broadcom NIC

Has anyone got a custom ISO that I can download or point me in the right direction?

Thanks very much

El Kabong

schrippe
06-15-2004, 10:51 AM
when you boot the knoppix cd: what ist the error message? Or is it possible to boot and you aren't able to install?

Elkabong
06-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Hello Schrippe,

Thanks for your reply.

I am able to Boot from the Knoppix CD and Install to HDD. However, after the installation I reboot the machine and gives an "Kernel Panic" error

regards

El Kabong

schrippe
06-15-2004, 11:51 AM
shit,

so kernel panic: unable to mount fs message?

when yes you must enable in the /etc/mkinitrd/modules the megaraid driver, only edit with vi and fill the line megaraid in the file.

before, you must start from cd and mount the sda1 (i think) to /mnt
"mount /dev/sda /mnt "

then make a "chroot /mnt /bin/bash" and look in the /etc/lilo.conf to see, what initrd image is used in the default section.
then you must "mkinitrd -o /boot/imagename" and "lilo" and then an reboot.

Elkabong
06-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Hello again,

I will try your suggestion tomorrow but when I reboot from HDD the installation does not recognise my:

MegaRaid SCSI or my Broadcom NIC. I get the error after MODPROBE failure or something like that.

I really wish there was some kind of Knoppix iso for the Dell Poweredge that I could download.

Thanx again

El Kabong

PROhan
06-17-2004, 08:00 AM
hmm.. it should recognize the broadcom network dealio (im on it right now actually)... I am using Kanotix which is the samething as Knoppix so there shouldnt be a problem..

Which version of knoppix are you using??

Elkabong
06-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Hi Prohan,

I am using Knoppix 3.4 on a Dell Poweredge 1750 with 2 x SCSI Drives, MegaRaid controller.

Interestly, I have managed to install Knoppix on a Generic Machine with no problems at all. Therefore I would be greatful for any assistance with this Dell.

Thanks

El Kabong

nicorelli
07-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Try downloading another setup file from a different mirror...

kandryn
09-28-2004, 08:54 PM
I have the latest Knoppix ISO, but it fails to load on a Dell Poweredge 1750 unless I disable scsi detection. (knoppix noscsi) Unfortunately, what I'm using it for is to dupe a hard disk, so this isn't good.

When I let it detect for SCSI, the first thing it does is:

"Probing SCSI... eata.o"

And that's it, that's where it dies/hangs. It has the megaraid controller, but it's disabled in favor of plain scsi drives. I've also installed Trustix without problem on the scsi drives, so not sure if that can help. The box in question also has the BIOS verson A08. Thanks for any advice.