PDA

View Full Version : LinkSYS problems

idolcrash
06-15-2004, 06:36 AM
I downloaded Knoppix today to check it out, but it seems I can't connect to the internet. I've read most of the posts, but they all had the same answer, which wasn't working for me (using wlcardconfig (which worked to configure the card) then pump -i eth0 (that was the card number, but it didn't work), and I've tried network card config), so I downloaded the drivers at linksys.com, but for some reason they won't work at all (I was using Konsole to run the commands). How would these instructions (below) apply for Knoppix? Mkdir doesn't seem to work with it either. Also, could I install the needed files onto my External HDD?

To get your WPC11 to work under Linux you must first go to ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/and get the most current version of the linux-wlan-ng drivers.

Once you've downloaded, make sure you're in the console, not X (If you're in x you may run into problems).

You also must be logged in as root, if you're not simple do:

su - then hit Enter and you will be prompted for your root password.

Make sure the card is not inserted!!!

Once you've downloaded the file you will need to go to the directory you downloaded it to and do:

tar zxvf linux-wlan-ng*.tar.gz

This will un tar the compressed driver. After you do this go into the director that was created by typing in:

cd linux-wlan-ng, then hit [tab] and tab completion should fill out the rest.

Once you're in the directory, type in:

./Configure

This will start the configuration script. You will be prompted for:

"Build Prism2.x PCMCIA Card Services (_cs) driver? (y/n) [y]:" type y for yes, and hit Enter

"Build Prism2 PLX9052 based PCI (_plx) adapter driver? (y/n) [n]:" type n for no, and hit Enter

"Build Prism2.5 native PCI (_pci) driver? (y/n) [n]:" type n for no, and hit Enter

"Build Prism2.5 USB (_usb) driver? (y/n) [n]:" type n for no, and hit Enter

"Linux source directory [/usr/src/Linux]:" by default this should be where your kernel is located, if it's located in a different place please input the path. Else hit Enter

"pcmcia-cs source dir [/usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.XX]:" by default this should be where your card services are located, if it's located in a different place please input the path. Else hit Enter

"Build for Kernel PCMCIA? (y/n) [n]:" type n for no, and hit Enter

"PCMCIA script directory [/etc/pcmcia]:" by default this should be where your PCMCIA scripts are located, if it's located in a different place please input the path. Else hit Enter

"Alternate target install root directory on host []:" hit Enter

"Module install director [/lib/modules/2.*.**]:" this will depending on where your module directory is, and the *.** depends on what kernel you're running, if you've got another install directory please input it. Else hit Enter

"Target Architecture? (i386, ppc, arm, or alpha) [i386]:" this prompt is for the type of processor you use, i386 is Intel/AMD based systems (IBM Clones). If you're running a IBM clone, just hit Enter, else input the type of Architecture you're using and hit Enter

"Prefix for build host compiler? (rarely needed) []:" just hit Enter here unless you're sure

"Compiling with a cross compiler? (y/n) [n]:" Type n and hit Enter unless you're compiling with a cross compiler.

"Build for debugging (see doc/config.debug) (y/n) [n]:" Type n and hit Enter

Then you should get a message saying "Configuration Successful"

Once you're back at a prompt, type in:

make all and hit Enter, this will cause the drivers to compile.

Once the compiler is done, do make install or checkinstall (check install is an optional download that makes allows you to remove packages vi the Package Tool).

Once this is done, type:

cd /etc/pcmcia

then vi wlan-ng.opts

Once the file comes up in vi hit esc then i to start insertion

First you will need to change the option WLAN_ENABLE=n to WLAN_ENBLE=y (Note some times this is listed twice)

Scroll down and look for "SELECT STATION MODE", make sure that IS_ADHOC= is set to n, so it would be IS_ADHOC=n

Now configure "INFRASTRUCTURE STATION START"

set the desiredSSID="" (By default this is set to linux-WLAN) to what ever the SSID is set to on your network.

If you're using WEP the options for WEP are listed above, however you will need to enter your key manually. Read the instructions under "WEP" for more information.

Once you've done this hit esc then : then x then Enter to save and exit. If you want to exit with out saving hit esc then : then q! then Enter

Now that you have that done, restart your system, (When LILO comes up insert the WPC11).

Once linux has loaded, you will need to log in as root again.

If you have an internal NIC, you will need to disable it. To do this type:

ifconfig eth0 down

Once that is done type:

ifconfig wlan0 up

Once that is done you can configure the wireless connection with a static IP or you can use DHCP by doing:

dhcpcd wlan0

Once that is done you should able to communicate wirelessly.

*Please note that Linksys does not offer phone nor E-mail support of the Linux operating system. This information is strictly informational only and Linksys is not responsible for any damage/data loss done to your OS by following these instructions. You must do this at your own risk.
Thanks!

pstoddard
06-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Which version of WPC11 are you using, I've heard that version 4 is almost impossible to get working but my version 3 card was detected and configured upon boot and works every time.

idolcrash
06-15-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm almost certain it is either 2 or 3. Definitely not 4, though.
Thanks!

tearinghairout
06-17-2004, 10:14 AM
pstoddard is right in saying that the V3 card works but the V4 will not. With V4 they changed to the Broadcom chipset, and Broadcom won't release any info about their chips.

The instructions you posted from the Linksys site - which mention prism2 - seem to be applicable to the earlier V3 and earlier chips, which are unnecessary for Knoppix because support is already built in.

Now, if you are almost certain that your WPC11 card is a V3 and not a V4, perhaps you should turn it over and have a look to make certain.

Assuming that it is, then it should pretty much work straight out of the box (or "off the cd" is perhaps more applicable).

What is the output of the iwconfig command?

Do you have some sort of a dhcp server on your wireless network? The pump command is basically just a dhcp client, and it needs to be able to see a dhcp server to tell it what ip address etc. to use. What have you got connected to the "other end" of your "air network cable" that will do this?

j.drake
06-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I have a very similar problem with my Microsoft MN-520 lan card also, which uses the same driver, so I' cross-posting in case we ccan help each other. I've noticed a lot of other wlan card problems also reported on the forum. See the following link for more details on my specific issue (and I've also posted this as a possible bug on the buglist (item 4 of the 2004-05-17 list).

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=51055#51055

I found one problem, click the above link!!

I posted a conjecture about why there are so many problems, but no one has responded. In essence, I'm wondering if Knoppix isn't finding the drivers because version 3.4 has two different kernels. If you look at the various folders, you'll see that many have subfolders which are separate for each kernel (2.4 and 2.6). My conjecture is that the script was written prior to the 3.4 two-kernel release, and it's looking for the prism2_cs driver in a location that's no longer valid (because of the kernel subfolders). I'm not skilled enough in linux to verify this, but that's the best explanation I can think of for why this is happening.

I'm sure that Fabian and Klaus are busy preparing for LinuxTAG and the 3.5 DVD, and probably haven't had time to look at this stuff, but I'm not really sure of what to do within the context of a live-CD installation until a new disk is remastered. I just read that a new security hole was discovered in the 2.6.6 kernel (and others, and a new patched version has just been released), so I hope it won't be too much longer until they patch the new kernel and address this wlan configuration issue. I'm really hoping that with the next release they'll just drop the 2.4 kernel altogether and standardize on the most recent. As far as I'm concerned, it's proven itself.

BTW, thank you for posting the Linksys instructions. As you can imagine, Microsoft has nothing on how to install to Linux, and I plan to try it out when I get home to my laptop. It might be a good process to copy to the Wiki for other people who might need it.

JD

knowmoor
06-27-2004, 11:26 PM
One update - wlcardconfig - the "key" format must be correct

using iwconfig eth0 key s:mykeyinASCII open - this was ok

using wlcardconfig - the s: option does NOT work, however proper input of HEX number does (watch those fat fingers y'all)

After the iwconfig above, iwconfig correctly displays longer HEX key numbers and by golly it works !

Yippie !

navfett
07-21-2004, 07:13 PM
would this fix work for any linksys cards? I have a wireless G card thats not getting detected by Knoppix STD 0.1.

ibm r40 laptop.