PDA

View Full Version : knoppix x settings copy to debian sid

andre
06-15-2004, 12:37 PM
hi folks,

my name is Andre Schmidt [28] and i've been using linux (as my main os) for about a year now. i started with suse (wonderfull for newbies!), but after a while i wanted more control/freedom over my os, so i installed debian. and now, after a half year, i've become a debian "believer" :)

before now, all my pc's had nvidia gfx-card. and i was allways succesfull on installing the nvidia.com drivers and got awesome fps in glxgears.

but now i got my first notebook (yes, i got my first notebook in 2004). dell latitude c800 and it has an ati rage 128 mobility m4 chip.

for testing purposes i downloaded the knoppix3.4(17-05-2004) iso and booted it on my latitude. wow, all my hardware is regonized and i get ~800fps in glxgears and that on 1600x1200 resolution 8)

so me think: install sid the 'debian' way and copy the knoppix x settings
- install debian woody netinst (bf24)
- apt-get dist-upgrade
- and so on...
and i copy the XF86Config-4 from knoppix to my new sid. after boot, x comes up in 1024x768 mode and i get lousy ~200fps on glxgears :(

well, it seems i'm still too new on linux to track this down. so any help or pointers would be appreciated.

cheers
-andre
ps. if any matter: i've installed agpgart and r128 modules

andre
06-16-2004, 07:24 AM
ok,

i see theres a new debian-installer release (RC1). got it, inst it, and voila, i got ~850fps. cooooool 8)

admin; you may delete these posts !

-andre