PDA

View Full Version : Remastered CD cannot boot on certain machines

pendrag
06-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi dear community,

I've remastered KNOPPIX with my own settings. It is based on Knoppix 3.4.
The original Knoppix ISO and my remastered one has been burned using the same CD-writer and CD brand. The problem is that I can boot Knoppix 3.4 from that CD without problems in many different computers, but the one I've remastered only boots on certains computers. It is not a matter of the CD reader, since I moved one from a machine that booted to one that didn't boot and it doesn't boot yet.

I think the problem is in the BIOS, but I cannot understand why Knoopix ISO works well and not mine. About boot files, I just modified logo.16 and boot.msg, but the rest remains equal to base.

Hmmm, this is challenging... any ideas?

Thanks!
pendrag.

knixkw
06-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Hello pendrag,

I have the same problem: the remastered CD only boots on some computers.

My "solution": after creating the 700 MB Knoppix file (before creating the CD iso image) I copied again everything in /cdrom/ to /mnt/hda1/knx/master/ except the 700 Mb KNOPPIX file.

Now it boots on all computers.....

very crazy....

pendrag
06-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks a lot, I will try.

But I DO want to modify some files there (logo.16, boot.msg, index.html, etc.). Must be a rational answer to do this, don't you think so?

Regards.

knixkw
06-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Hello pendrag,

I had the problem without changing the files logo.16 etc. I only removed some packages, so I only changed KNOPPIX.ISO.

Perhaps some computers have a problem, if the directory /boot/isolinux is "to far away from the beginning of the CD".

This is not the rational answer You are looking for..... :wink:

Ambrose
06-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Yes, I've had many issues with isolinux. It's too bad syslinux can no longer be used.

- Ambrose

pendrag
06-29-2004, 08:19 AM
But do you have any suggestion to avoid these kind of situations?