PDA

View Full Version : Permanently enabling UDMA at boot via startup script

briansz
06-16-2004, 05:50 PM
I previously ran Knoppix hdinstall on a dual PIII-500 machine with 768MB and an Adaptec U2W card with the boot drive at 80mb/sec.

Some time ago I upgraded to a dual Athlon 2100 MP system based on the Asus A7M266-D mobo. I like the machine a lot, but I switched over to IDE drives from SCSI and the performance difference is astonishing. The IDE drives are much slower.

I recently learned how to use hdparm to enable UDMA on my drives and speeds improved dramatically. The online tutorial that I used to do this mentions copying the commands that are used to turn on UDMA to /etc/rc.sysinit so that the proper speeds are used upon reboot.

I don't have that file in my /etc folder. Can anybody suggest the Knoppix equivalent, or do I simply need to create the file and add the hdparm -d1 commands for each of my three IDE drives?

Don't want to mess up a working system, so I figured I'd just ask first before making changes.

Thanks!

Brian

pulsar
06-18-2004, 07:57 AM
Using knoppix 3.4, dma is enabled by default.

briansz
06-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Using knoppix 3.4, dma is enabled by default.

That would be great if I was running 3.4. I'm running 3.3 and don't really need the angst of upgrading and reconfiguration at the moment.

Brian

champagnemojo
06-18-2004, 07:55 PM
DMA is set in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

Kano (http://kano.mipooh.net) has a script to set DMA on...or you can add the right hdparm settings to the script yourself. Wasn't DMA on the default in 3.3 too?