PDA

View Full Version : Apt Hangs when attempting upgrade

shane25119
06-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi i am having a problem I originally posted on LQ. I was directed here:

Hi All,
I am using Knoppix 3.4. Today i went to install thunderbird and after installing I attempted to start the program. I got an error message that GLIBC_3.2.3 was need, no worry I'll just apt-get it.

First off the package does not exist. So i tried various combanations of the name, uppercase, lowercase etc. then i decided to just do a system upgrade. Problem with that is.... apt is hanging. Its always hanging on ftp2.de.debian.org.

A quick check of /etc/apt/sources.list shows that almost all of the sources are from there.... although they are listed several times. I really do not know what to do at this point. Apt is not cooperating and i can not get thunderbird to work because of this. I know I have properly installed thunderbird in the past on knoppix (albiet it was 3.3) any help would be greatly appreated.

shane

At LQ it was suggested I try :::: First use "su" command to get root privileges and then try "apt-get -f install" command. This often helps when APT gets tangled.

same results as before

thanks in advance :)

shane

eco2geek
06-16-2004, 07:53 PM
The solution is simple: edit out the "2" in "ftp2.de.debian.org" so it just reads "ftp.de.debian.org". (This problem has been extensively discussed on this board; use the search function and search on "apt-spy" for an even better solution.)