PDA

View Full Version : Some noob questions but o well.

Phatmonkey
06-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi there i am new to the linux revoulution and decided to start with knoppix. I have a few questions maybe ya all can help me out with and it would be greatly appreciatd if ya could thanks.
1. yay a list :D
2.Is it possible to creat a document or find a file you want and put those one a usb cd rw?
3.I want to dive head first in to this by jsut screwing around with any possible program or seeting in knoppix. Can I harm my computer in any way by doing this?
4.One lastone. Is it possible to do a kind of dual boot with knoppix and win xp already on my comp hd?
thank you for any answers!

OErjan
06-17-2004, 06:10 PM
1. yay a list
huh??

2.Is it possible to creat a document or find a file you want and put those one a usb cd rw?
sure. K3B is a CDburning tool (little like NERO), and even DVDburning is suported (if you have a DVDburner that is).
and files can be handles in many ways, XP's NTFS is not 100% suported for WRITING but reading and burnign from that to CD is OK.

3.I want to dive head first in to this by jsut screwing around with any possible program or seeting in knoppix. Can I harm my computer in any way by doing this?

long as you do NOT make our hardisks writable (they are not y defaut) or try too high settings on your screen it should be near 100% safe.

4.One lastone. Is it possible to do a kind of dual boot with knoppix and win xp already on my comp hd?
sure, i have dualboot between win95, 98, 2000 and XPpro and linux on 5 diferent boxes (only one Win version/box, but on one have 4 "flavours" of Linux).

Phatmonkey
06-18-2004, 12:56 AM
well thanks for the help. also does any one here know about some good sites that will give give to noobs like me as far as what programs do what and any basic knoppix/linux information i might need?