PDA

View Full Version : Slower website build-up compared to WinXP

Linuxshark
06-17-2004, 07:01 PM
I have noticed that the build-up time of some website on my Knoppix 3.4 HD install is significantly slower compared to my WinXP installation. One extreme example is the website www.nhl.com . The head-graphics of the site comes up quickly, but it takes at least 30 seconds on my machine until the content of the page appears. On my WinXP install, everything comes up within seconds.

I have a DSL connection (1024 Bit/s down, 128 up) and the DSL-"modem" is connected to my PC via a network card. The phenomenon is independent from the browser used (Konqueror, Mozilla, Firefox). I have set up the internet connection with the Knoppix Internet Connection "wizard".

Is it a config issue on my machine or are some webservers slower when the requesting machine is a Linux system?

ZeroKun
06-17-2004, 07:42 PM
delete this reply :(

mzilikazi
06-17-2004, 11:38 PM
Did you notice the M$ logo? ;) M$ write such lousy HTML it's no wonder it doesn't work right w/ anything except IE. From w3c.org:

W3C CSS Validator Results for http://www.nhl.com/

To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document parse tree. This means you should use valid HTML.

That said- I had no problems getting there w/ Opera on Linux. Loaded in 1 or 2 seconds at most. Mozilla on win was a bit slower but not much. That wasn't alot of help now was it? :)

Linuxshark
06-18-2004, 07:41 AM
That said- I had no problems getting there w/ Opera on Linux. Loaded in 1 or 2 seconds at most. Mozilla on win was a bit slower but not much. That wasn't alot of help now was it? :)

LOL, not much of a help, but whatever :lol:

What is the package name for the opera browser? I apt-cache searched for Opera and the number of results was too big to go through them.

mzilikazi
06-18-2004, 08:08 AM
You won't find Opera in Debian - it's not OSS but you can get a .deb from their site http://www.opera.com/download/
(Get the QT static deb ;) )
and install it like so:
su
<password>
dpkg -i opera-static_7.51-20040602.1-qt_en_i386.deb

Then you want to put it in the menu
update-menus -v

Restart your window manager and it should be there.