PDA

View Full Version : YP Server

rhpot1991
06-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Has anyone else noticed that on startup knoppix seems to hang on
"binding to YP server" for a while then it finally boots. I am running knoppix 3.4 5/17/04. It seems to hang here no matter what kernel I boot with.

A. Jorge Garcia
06-18-2004, 01:28 AM
Yeah, I've noticed that on older machines that I've knoppix-installered. My old Gateway PIIs do have this YP server problem.

My new Dell Optiplex GX270s don't have this problem. My Dells do take forever autodetecting usb stuff....

Regards,
AJG

rhpot1991
06-18-2004, 03:57 AM
I am noticing it on 3 of my boxes, a p2 500, a p2 733, and my athlon xp 1800+ notebook. If it were just on the p2's I would dismiss it as being the cpu's but it does it on my athlon too, so I do not think that its the cpu's

-John

Linuxshark
06-18-2004, 07:44 AM
I had the problem and solved it Ninja-style by removing the NIS package. NIS is some special networking thing that IMHO is not necessary for the average user. After removing the NIS package via KPackage it was all good during startup.

arkaine23
06-23-2004, 08:08 PM
rc-update del nis default

or you can manually remove the symlinks in /etc/rc5.d and /etc/rc3.d for NIS

NIS/YP is sort of like active directory. It allows for all information about users and groups and network-wide mounted filesystems to be stored on one server. So then NIS clients will get that information when they boot up. It makes adminning unix/linux networks much simpler.

NIS stands for Network Information System
YP stands for Yellow Pages (which is what Sun called it)