PDA

View Full Version : pre-pruned knoppix base

god
03-11-2003, 04:37 AM
what file on the customized knoppix list is the smallest version with the full hardware support?

MichielioZ
03-27-2003, 03:07 PM
Strange... no answer up till now...
A good base to make your own "total-remaster" WAS modelK , but it seems to get more and more outdated...
It would be a whole lot easier to get more "offspring" from Knoppix if Klaus (or anybody else who has it) would make a BASE available to everybody, not ?

RoadKill
03-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Its funny you guys are thinking about this. I am leaching knoppix lite 1.0 just to see if its any good?

eadz
03-28-2003, 02:45 AM
knoppix lite is good, but the hardware detection is outdated. The smallest would be morphix.

The real small ones don't have X support.

KnoppixKDE was based on Knoppix Lite, but for the next one I'll use standard knoppix. Maybe I'll make a Knoppix-canvas in the process of making the next KnoppixKDE.

aay
03-28-2003, 03:06 AM
EADZ,

Why not Morphix then? What Alex is doing with Morphix is pretty impessive. He's working on a way to let people add apps to a cd w/o remastering. This will be quite a feat if it works out. I look forward to seeing his next release.

RoadKill
03-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Hey Eadz,

The KDE rev you released was pretty sweet. I chopped away at it for a while as well. Managed to remove the good stuff like the boot splash with a kernel upgrade etc (opps, DUH!) ;-) I liked it and was hoping you may release an update. I have a decided preference for KDE and really like the extra room on your release. I have been supporting a remastered Knoppix for the LUG I belong to and am tiring a bit of carrying the full weight of maintaining it by myself. If your planning on spending more time on your version I'd be interested in colaborating with you and anybody else who's interested?

Thanx, Dan

MichielioZ
04-05-2003, 01:04 AM
It's really quite hard to believe :
So many sub-distributions of Knoppix comming out these days and nobody having a basic "package" to start making from "scratch" ???
I'm really looking into it myself now and it seems that, compared to ModelK, the new Knoppix 3.2 has quite a few xtra files to keep, but I just can't seem to get which to keep... ;)

A good "starting package" probably would be one where you'd only have to add your own XFree version and KDE/Gnome etc. on top of it...
If anybody can tell me what packages I need to accomplish that, please tell me, and within a week I promise I'll post the image 8)

Thanx for anybody helping out with this...

Ghandalfar
04-12-2003, 11:20 PM
Yes, I'm just investigating it.. another way of doing it is that you could write a script to strip out almost everything from official knoppix image and then work from that.

Thus there would be just knoppix-strip script that you could tell it how much do you want it to remove. With every new release you just update the script, run it over the new knoppix version and you'll get a base system. You then run your own scripts to customize the knoppix. Meaning it would take you a few hours of uncompressing, compressing and everything but at the end you could have quite automated customizing procedure.