PDA

View Full Version : error running X and KDE

hss
06-19-2004, 12:20 PM
I remastered a KNOPPIX CD to run SAP in our organization. On starting X, it says "Not enough memory to start KDE" (The error which comes from 45xsession from function starttwm). This happens when X is started with /etc/init.d/xsession start. However, if I start X with startx. Then kde runs fine.

How to make it work?

CrashedAgain
06-20-2004, 06:53 PM
I remastered a KNOPPIX CD to run SAP in our organization. On starting X, it says "Not enough memory to start KDE" (The error which comes from 45xsession from function starttwm). This happens when X is started with /etc/init.d/xsession start. However, if I start X with startx. Then kde runs fine.

How to make it work?
It appears whenever xsession is not able to start KDE it ends up generating this error even though memory is not the real problem. There is a bit of reference in this post: http:/www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10299&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 Try to figure out why KDE won't start from xsession, possibly missing kde setup script in /home/knoppix.
I think when you are in terminal mode (knoppix 2) you are root, so when you do 'startx' from terminal, you end up in KDE as root, at least my system does. (check 'whoami' from konsole) Therefore, the startup script are ok in /root but maybe not in /home/knoppix.
Also try 'kdm' so you can get to the login manager then login as root & as knoppix, etc to test.